Ok this may be helpful for you coin shooters>>>

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Talking with Monte on another forum, I kept thinking about this Per Coin Value Average he uses and I have decided to start using it. Ok it is simple you just take the total dollar amount you find and divide by the total coins found.....Example>>>>(My totals)

$301.94 divided by 4394=0.0687 (disregard any numbers past this point)

Ok....simply move the decimal point two places to the right and you come up with your Per Coin Value>6.87

Now I am sure some of youare thinking why or how could this be important ???

Well actually it can help you a ton! :)

Here goes...>>>Say you find 60 coins on one site and 60 coins on the next site. Now you say well I did the same on both right ??? Well not actually....In picking which site to return to you may constantly start to notice your PCV is higher on certain sites.

Remember this does not mean well I found $4 here and $3 there, this is a per coin average in cents. I really think it can be helpful in deciding which sites to follow up on. If you visit a site and after one hour your battery goes dead, starts to rain or something else happens to shorten the hunt....you find only say 12 coins for $2.00 your PCV would be 16.6 cents per coin extremely high! ;D<This would be a site you would want to go back to despite the low dollar amount probably caused by the short hunt...

Now a negative example to show the difference> :(

You hunt 3 hours in a tot lot and find 74 coins for $2.15. Ok divide $2.15 by your 74 coins>your PCV is only 2.90...which obviously is almost 3 cents a coin. The area where you found only 12 coins would be the place to return to. Hope some of you find this useful. ;)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Gregg,
After about 20 minutes at a site you can tell if it's going to produce a good amount of dimes and quarters. Our typical clad ratio here is consistent with what others find in clad around the country - aprox 50% of coins found are pennies. Without looking at my log I can tell you which sites here will give this ratio and which will do better with Quarters and Dimes. Those sites are easy to remember cause there are not too many of them here.

Bob

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Mirage said:
Gregg,
After about 20 minutes at a site you can tell if it's going to produce a good amount of dimes and quarters. Our typical clad ratio here is consistent with what others find in clad around the country - aprox 50% of coins found are pennies. Without looking at my log I can tell you which sites here will give this ratio and which will do better with Quarters and Dimes. Those sites are easy to remember cause there are not too many of them here.

Bob

I agree this system is actually used by quite a few people. I thought it might be helpful for some that like playing with numbers. Also allows for comparisions. It is helpful for me in just not remembering a park but a certain area of a park. I have 50 parks within a 15-20 mile radius and 10 on the way home from work. So for remembering a certain hot spot it works nice!

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What really strikes me is that you use a system at all. I admire that a lot . Working blind always seems foolish to me. With your PCV you could even begin to set what some really will whine over - goals.

Some people say that going to all that trouble and setting goals is for work, and this is a hobby. I disagree and applaud your efforts. Thanks for the tip. You, too, Monte 8)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
dahut said:
What really strikes me is that you use a system at all. I admire that a lot . Working blind always seems foolish to me. With your PCV you could even begin to set what some really will whine over - goals.

Some people say that going to all that trouble and setting goals is for work, and this is a hobby. I disagree and applaud your efforts. Thanks for the tip. You, too, Monte 8)

Thanks it seems anytime you bring up numbers that could add something you get a few that don't want to hear it. I did get a great reply on the friendly metal detecting forum under general discussions from a user of the system his PCV is over 8 cents a coin...really good! :) and that is for over 3000 coins!

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
So what if you find goodies or silver? How do they figure into the formula? Say I find a 1916 D worth about a thousand bucks? Do I count it as ten cents or 1000 dollars? Do you count a walking half as 50 cents or 5 dollars? Just a thought. Of course I'm just messin with you. Everyone knows silver stands alone.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
rebelLT said:
So what if you find goodies or silver? How do they figure into the formula? Say I find a 1916 D worth about a thousand bucks? Do I count it as ten cents or 1000 dollars? Do you count a walking half as 50 cents or 5 dollars? Just a thought. Of course I'm just messin with you. Everyone knows silver stands alone.

I am glad you mentioned you were kidding there are actually some people coming up with some challenging questions on a few of the forums i posted! I did not invent this...it is nothing new....I saw it and like to mess around with numbers and hopefully someone else will like it too! Someone already came back on another forum with a PCV of over 12 cents for today on 45 coins that is really good!

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So how does the amont of time spent,the distance you have to drive,the cost of batteries,the cost of your detector, ect figure into this formula???
If indeed you want the true value of a site and its worth should you not consider all factors???
Im glad some of you have a system to use...my system has always been enjoy the hobby..i dont hunt parks unless they are old or old areas so your system really doesnt work for me.If you start setting goals then you start worrying about wether or not you achieving them and to me that takea all the fun out of it.
Go out hunt,enjoy the company,the excersize,and the friends........
Happy hunting no and good luck no matter what your goal is!!!!!!

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
teverly said:
So how does the amont of time spent,the distance you have to drive,the cost of batteries,the cost of your detector, ect figure into this formula???
If indeed you want the true value of a site and its worth should you not consider all factors???
Im glad some of you have a system to use...my system has always been enjoy the hobby..i dont hunt parks unless they are old or old areas so your system really doesnt work for me.If you start setting goals then you start worrying about wether or not you achieving them and to me that takea all the fun out of it.

I am actually lucky with 2 out of 3 listed above....batteries cost me nothing have rechargables. The gas I use is close to zero I hunt on way home from work, when going to doctor, or park a half block from my house. Everybody I know has a park or school within 4 blocks of their house so I plan alll my hunts around where I am going. The detector cost...working on that one...

But you are right numbers should not be the most important part enjoyment should, but some do enjoy keeping logs, totals and counting ....this is the same thing,, just using a formula.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
teverly said:

;) ;D

rickyinms

Jun 23, 2007
east central Ms
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
i dont quite get the dollar figure but i have always figured my average coin value. after 2 wks of detecting i have a 5.7 cent average. i dont think thats to bad for a small town with no city parks.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
rickyinms said:
i dont quite get the dollar figure but i have always figured my average coin value. after 2 wks of detecting i have a 5.7 cent average. i dont think thats to bad for a small town with no city parks.

5.7 is very good! Especially if you dig everything...I like to try to find wheat pennies so I am a big penny digger. Good luck! :)

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
DFX-Gregg said:
I like to try to find wheat pennies so I am a big penny digger. Good luck! :)

Gregg, I have a question and not messing with you. Usually on my XLT before I sold it I could basically know if I had a memorial cent, a wheat cent, and the only problem were zinc cents hitting in the range of Indian cents. I would think you could check your numbers on the screen and know where the wheat cent hits and maybe pass up on some of those half eaten zincs. Not sure where you live but honestly you should have better silver/wheat totals for the year, even hunting newer Parks. This is just my opinion, but it could be your spending too much of your time digging zincs. By the way, I see nothing wrong with digging pennies, certain gold rings, silver rings and other goodies also hit at those numbers. Just think that DFX should be singing silver more often. I just read what I typed and didn't see a question, so I must be making a long distance observation!

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
I use something similar, but I tend to find more value in trinkets and jewelry than coins in the tot lots. So my formula works like this:

Any trinket item worth cleaning with a toothbrush $1.00
Any silver item counts as $3.00, any gold item is $10.00.
Any item that has a ebay price in similiar condition is worth that much.

I found 50 $1 items, 14 silver, 5 gold and $131 in 6 items, and also $30.00 in 562 clad coins. (5.33 pcv)

This allows me to say that I am up right around $300.00, which "paid" for my ACE 250 and which justified upgrading to my new Garrett. ::)

My new GTI-2500... priceless.

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
Interesting - my average per coin...

Best year - 7.8 cents per coin.
Average since 1998 - 6.95 cents per coin.
More beach detecting (in summer) will likely increase this average.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Jack(IN) said:
DFX-Gregg said:
I like to try to find wheat pennies so I am a big penny digger. Good luck! :)

Gregg, I have a question and not messing with you. Usually on my XLT before I sold it I could basically know if I had a memorial cent, a wheat cent, and the only problem were zinc cents hitting in the range of Indian cents. I would think you could check your numbers on the screen and know where the wheat cent hits and maybe pass up on some of those half eaten zincs. Not sure where you live but honestly you should have better silver/wheat totals for the year, even hunting newer Parks. This is just my opinion, but it could be your spending too much of your time digging zincs. By the way, I see nothing wrong with digging pennies, certain gold rings, silver rings and other goodies also hit at those numbers. Just think that DFX should be singing silver more often. I just read what I typed and didn't see a question, so I must be making a long distance observation!

Another reason I don't skip the zincs which you are right do take up a lot of my time is multiple coins spills....A lot of the time my signal will start as a zinc and leads to some of those nickels, dimes, quarters. Also one of the 2 gold rings I found this year was being masked by 2 zincs!

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Trescher said:
I use something similar, but I tend to find more value in trinkets and jewelry than coins in the tot lots. So my formula works like this:

Any trinket item worth cleaning with a toothbrush $1.00
Any silver item counts as $3.00, any gold item is $10.00.
Any item that has a ebay price in similiar condition is worth that much.

I found 50 $1 items, 14 silver, 5 gold and $131 in 6 items, and also $30.00 in 562 clad coins. (5.33 pcv)

This allows me to say that I am up right around $300.00, which "paid" for my ACE 250 and which justified upgrading to my new Garrett. ::)

My new GTI-2500... priceless.

I agree use a system that works for you! :) Counting a couple rings that I sold this year I am close to $400. So you are right it can help justify your purchase of another detector, good point.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Re: Interesting - my average per coin...

swingman said:
Best year - 7.8 cents per coin.
Average since 1998 - 6.95 cents per coin.
More beach detecting (in summer) will likely increase this average.

Very nice thanks for posting glad to see it can be used over a period of time consistently. To be honest I like it better then looking at dollar amounts or total coins. I am going to break mine down by parks I hunt. Thank you for posting. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread