Ok time to sum it up! Garretts at pro? Or at gold?

Younghunt

May 14, 2011
Clarkesville ga/ Ringgold ga
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter fast tracker, now garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Re: Ok time to sum it up!

Younghunt said:
Its time to sum it all up!

At pro or the at gold, i will be moving to ga/tn in a year and i need to decide betteen the garrett at pro or the garrett at gold! I love hunting beaches salt/freash water, coins, relic, jewlery.
Im looking to buy one by x-mas. Please help me make a decision!!!

Get the AT Pro. The AT Gold is not recommended for salted sand/water. You probably can't ground balance it there.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I agree. The AT Pro. Just remember to manually ground balance in the wet salt sand.

OP
OP
Younghunt

Younghunt

May 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1. Why MANUALY ground balence in salt water?
2. Would the at pro preform well in tn/ga soil theres gold and black sand there idk if it means its highly minorlized?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

Younghunt said:
1. Why MANUALY ground balence in salt water?
2. Would the at pro preform well in tn/ga soil theres gold and black sand there idk if it means its highly minorlized?

You need to ground balance in salted areas to tune out the salt, otherwise, you would be getting constant chatter. Salt is a mineral, which is sensitive to the electronics of metal detectors.

I believe there have been several reports come in where the AT Pro performed well in Tn.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't trust the auto GB feature for salt water because of the varing amount of black sand and salt on the beaches so it is best to GB it often, especially when moving from dry into wet sand.

Just because the sens setting can be set high doesn't mean you have to run it that high. Your car goes over a 100 mph. but bad things happen while doing that.

coin hunter

Jan 13, 2008
Sidney, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett,1500 , 2500, AT PRO, Garrett Pin pointer,AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you look at the AT gold you will notice that on its display it doesn't have the coin denomination break down, 1 cent 10 cent 25 cent. The AT Pro does have that and runs at 15 HZ for gold. I really think the AT Gold would be more user friendly in areas like Arizona , New Mexico hunting for gold in raw form. Not that the AT Pro won't pick up coins it just gives a general upper display. The AT Pro on the other hand will be user friendly in both areas of hunting coin, relic and prospecting

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another Garrett AT Pro vote. Holler If I can help with questions or a good deal on one! Thanks, Bart

OP
OP
Younghunt

Younghunt

May 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ,
Im going to
Make a list of pos and neg of both mecheines!
Then decide!
But you imput is huge too!

ezzz1

Oct 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75,Teknetic 8000, At pro , At gold,Tesoro Sabre Compass X-80,fisher cd3z, goldbug2 , Garrett 250 ace 150 ,Fisher F-5,fisher 553,Teknetic 2000,fisher f4 Tesoro lobo,, silver Umax, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mark1a said:
If you look at the AT gold you will notice that on its display it doesn't have the coin denomination break down, 1 cent 10 cent 25 cent. The AT Pro does have that and runs at 15 HZ for gold. I really think the AT Gold would be more user friendly in areas like Arizona , New Mexico hunting for gold in raw form. Not that the AT Pro won't pick up coins it just gives a general upper display. The AT Pro on the other hand will be user friendly in both areas of hunting coin, relic and prospecting

The At gold works great in Ga. The hot rock has not affect the machine like some of the other do .
I've been doing test the last 3 months with it . But if your looking to hunt beach & land go with the At pro.
but if your going to do some gold hunting & hunt coins on land the gold has been doing great .

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what you will be using it for....the Pro.

Handles surprisingly well on the beach where other detectors just go bonkers.

Not being able to adjust the coin/jewelry/relic modes to your taste seems like a let down on the Gold to me.

I will say I am astounded at the depth on that little Gold DD coil.

OP
OP
Younghunt

Younghunt

May 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for helping me decide but i still need some more answers to why i should get the garrett at pro

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Younghunt said:
Thank you for helping me decide but i still need some more answers to why i should get the garrett at pro

What are your questions?
I think everyone has said what they'd do, but we ain't you... :dontknow:
It's a decision you'll have to make. We don't know what your expectations are. The key thing to remember is that there is no PERFECT detector. You want to do salt water beach hunting, then the AT Pro is your detector. If you are only wanting to do fresh water hunting, then the AT Gold may be right for you. Both will do the relic, coin thing. The AT Pro is a silent searcher, the AT Gold has a threshold. The AT Pro has 6 modes, three standard (beginner/novice) and three pro. The AT Gold only has 3 modes. There are other differences, but what I've listed above are some of the things I'd think about in making a decision...

An accessory I'd think about is the other size DD-coil than what comes with your detector. The Gold has a 5x8 coil, get a 8.5x11. The Pro has a 8.5x11, get a 5x8. Doing that will give you detecting options you'll appreciate.

Good luck with your decision.

OP
OP
Younghunt

Younghunt

May 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the super sniper coil for the garrett at pro? Will that pick up small gold nuggets and coins/jewler well?

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Younghunt said:
What about the super sniper coil for the garrett at pro? Will that pick up small gold nuggets and coins/jewler well?

The super sniper and the 5x8 DD will both do fine for coins & jewelry on the AT Pro. Now small gold, I don't know... I imagine it will find some small shallow BB sized nuggets, but the "picker" size and smaller would probably be missed regardless of which coil you have. You want those? You'll probably want the AT Gold or another true gold detector. The best way to get that small gold is to pan it.

Those accessory coils are a real good additions to your equipment arsenal. You'll find you need them a lot of times.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm reading what everyone is saying and I hope I didn't completely buy the wrong detector. I live in San Diego and have mainly gotten into gold prospecting. Also bought a dry washer and a dry -vac. Thats the reason why I bought the AT Gold. Well, I also live about 10 mi from the beaches. Can the detector work on the DRY sands of the beach or is it pretty lame in that regard. I noticed in Quartzsite last week (didnt find squat) that while I was pinpointing hits I would run the material over the MD and it would beep. Even with nothing on my hand. Then I read that the high freq detectors will read the salt in your body. If its THAT sensitive, I have zero chance at the beach.

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Its time to sum it all up!

At pro or the at gold, i will be moving to ga/tn in a year and i need to decide betteen the garrett at pro or the garrett at gold! I love hunting beaches salt/freash water, coins, relic, jewlery.
Im looking to buy one by x-mas. Please help me make a decision!!!
If I have to give an answer based of your criteria above, then I would say the AT Pro.
I was somewhat facing that dilema, though not really having much doubt on wg]hich one to get.
Having an all-around detector capable of hitting gold also was a big plus, so I chose the AT Pro.
My thing is go out, and dig whatever sounds good enough to...
One thing I've learned, I need a long handle steel spade with footpad, my hand held trowel it's too slow. Lol!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm reading what everyone is saying and I hope I didn't completely buy the wrong detector. I live in San Diego and have mainly gotten into gold prospecting. Also bought a dry washer and a dry -vac. Thats the reason why I bought the AT Gold. Well, I also live about 10 mi from the beaches. Can the detector work on the DRY sands of the beach or is it pretty lame in that regard. I noticed in Quartzsite last week (didnt find squat) that while I was pinpointing hits I would run the material over the MD and it would beep. Even with nothing on my hand. Then I read that the high freq detectors will read the salt in your body. If its THAT sensitive, I have zero chance at the beach.

Your good in the dry sand unless it's black sand. Stay away from the salt water with the Gold though, it's just not made for it. Good luck!

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've hunted the dry sand at Galveston tx with no issues! Found a nice silver necklace in fact! No worries. And it's a deep detector! Found gold earring 8-10 deep at lake! Have fun

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread