Okay FINE THEN! Ill buy one.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Okay FINE THEN! I'll buy one.

The local pawn shop is a Garrett dealer and has a few including the much applauded Ace 250. The thing is, I can get one on Ebay NEW for like $212 free shipping. At the shop the same unit is $245+tax. The other models are all $400 and up. I have been told that the Ace 250 is a good starter unit for learning. I also looked around here and pasted some of the members here detector unit names into the Ebay search to see what came up. The Tesoro Silver uMax is $235 free shipping. What say you?

After the wife and I found yet another foundation on our land near the original homestead I feel that I am doing myself a disservice to not buy one of these machines and learn to detect. We are now at 4 foundations and 5 out buildings that date to the early 20th century at least. I also know of at least 2 well sites and maybe 3 outhouse locations right here. So far my daughter has found a Morgan dollar and 2 silver nickels, I have found a bucket of nails and ceramics and pottery and thingamabobs including a broken buckle. In total we have like 35 coins hand dug out of the dirt ranging from 1881 to 2007. I can only imagine what we've missed.

I gotta dig 'em. I just gotta.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
Re: Okay FINE THEN! I'll buy one.

If you don't, I could loan you a detector. Help you dig all that property. It's a hard job, but being the nice guy I am, I'll volunteer. ::).

DM

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

It's OK. Great starter machine. Probably won't get more that 6-7 inches of depth out of it, but for all round diggin, it's good. It gobbles coins up really well.

DM

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

The ACE250 is a great starter machine for anyone! The Tesoro Silver is great as well, no display for those that like that but has the lifetime warranty which can't be beat. As Thompy said, the F2 is also a good starter machine. Good luck with whatever you choose! Looking forward to seeing some of the finds from your awesome property! :thumbsup:

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GL said:
So far my daughter has found a Morgan dollar and 2 silver nickels, I have found a bucket of nails and ceramics and pottery and thingamabobs including a broken buckle. In total we have like 35 coins hand dug out of the dirt ranging from 1881 to 2007. I can only imagine what we've missed.

You folks found all that w i t h o u t a detector?! Geesh! Forget the Garrett...I want what you have!!!

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO

AIN'T THAT THE DARN TRUTH, JUST GOES TO PROVE YOU DONT NEED A DETECTOR SOME TIMES, JUST WILL AND WANT TO

M L HUDSON

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

GL said:
Titan 1000 XD for $175?

Is that a decent one?

I am not familiar with the Titan but I am sure someone will come along that is. Good luck!

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC

Well I looked on Kellyco and Titan XD is $199...This guy says I can buy his for $175 with no accessories.
Instant gratification or patience for the better deal with the extras?

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Of course that would have to be your choice. :wink: Good luck and hope to see your finds soon!

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

get the fisher over the titan, 199 with 2 coils, similar machines but the f-2 has a faster processor, better target seperation in the iron trash 8 in coil same as titan plus the 4" coil for the trashy areas

Rd2nowr

Jan 2, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, IDX Pro, Sunray XL-1 Probe

The Titan is nothing but a glorified Bounty Hunter. Get the Ace 250 or find a used white's IDX Pro. You can't go wrong with either. Tim

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

GL said:
The local pawn shop is a Garrett dealer and has a few including the much applauded Ace 250. The thing is, I can get one on Ebay NEW for like $212 free shipping. At the shop the same unit is $245+tax. The other models are all $400 and up. I have been told that the Ace 250 is a good starter unit for learning. I also looked around here and pasted some of the members here detector unit names into the Ebay search to see what came up. The Tesoro Silver uMax is $235 free shipping. What say you?

After the wife and I found yet another foundation on our land near the original homestead I feel that I am doing myself a disservice to not buy one of these machines and learn to detect. We are now at 4 foundations and 5 out buildings that date to the early 20th century at least. I also know of at least 2 well sites and maybe 3 outhouse locations right here. So far my daughter has found a Morgan dollar and 2 silver nickels, I have found a bucket of nails and ceramics and pottery and thingamabobs including a broken buckle. In total we have like 35 coins hand dug out of the dirt ranging from 1881 to 2007. I can only imagine what we've missed.

I gotta dig 'em. I just gotta.
A few weeks back I decided to buy a 250 and searched prices on google with all of the regulars sources such as eBay, Amazon, and dealers appearing. One dealer was offering one in mint condition for $150 plus $15 for shipping. I placed my order and received my confirmation. This was on a Saturday night so I was told it would be shipped on Monday. I began reading more reviews and eventually decided the 250 was not for me, I needed a detector with a ground balancing knob instead of auto balancing. So I canceled the order and received the confirmation with the news that the my credit card had not been charged. If I hadn't found that deal I don't know how much higher I might have gone. I might have paid the $212 on eBay whether shipping was free or not.

So, what I'm saying is that if you want to buy something first do some comparison shopping which will always save you dough. $47 in my pocket would have been a good savings.

ZenAgain

Nov 2, 2007
Fort Polk LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, White's DFX, Bullseye 2

My Chinese friend, I salute your persistance in beach hunting, after spending 3 days "attempting" to beach hunt on Galveston Island, I will happily spend my days digging plugs in God's green Earth. As for the OP. I highly recommend the BH Landstar as a starter detector. I just moved up to a White's DFX and have found very little learning curve from one to the other and to top it off, my fiancee' skunked me at a park with my old Land Star. :)

P.S. After a year of detecting, I'm starting to see that the difference isn't in the "machine" itself but in the amount of research you do, coil size, and how well you "learn" whatever machine you're using. The difference in the starter detectors and the "top of the line" one's is at most a couple inches.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have been AMAZED at some of the things that the Ace 250 have found and I have seen the Ace250 whip both Whites and Minelab users before. If you like the digital readout than go with that, it is the MOST bang for the buck and you can get the bigger coil with it for more depth.

My first was a Tesoro Cibola, but the Silver Sabre is a GREAT machine as well and you will not find a better pinpointing machine than a Tesoro.

P.S. The majority of all coins and relics that are found are usually shallower than 6-7 inches

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread