Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's been a couple of weeks since my last hunt. I guess I don't really have a good excuse other than the tides don't want to cooperate with me lately. I shoot for this 'window' at night, and if the tide is above 1 meter, I generally won't go. Unfortunately, it's not often it's below that mark at night, so that doesn't help my ambition.

A guy I work with used to detect years ago, and has seen my collection of detectors and loot. It got that fire going inside him, and he's been cruising the internet looking at machines and detecting sites. I couldn't stand it... so i took pity on the poor guy and invited him to go hunting with me last night. :laughing7:

We go to my local honey hole and set him up with the Sea Hunter and the Nuttall scoop, and I jumped into the water. Within minutes I start finding the yen, and I had my first silver ring within 15 minutes. This beach always gives up the silver for me, and it's usually 2 by the time I leave.

I check back on my buddy within an hour to see how he's learned the machine, and you could see some frusteration in his eyes. I give him a brief tutorial on how to effectively water hunt, and then guide him to the 'money lane' to turn him loose.

The next couple of hours were spent being your typical pirate.... pillaging the sea and ripping every well guarded coin and ring from it's watery bed. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

So the night ended decently by my standards. While I didn't find any gold on this trip out, I'll continue to work this area until I leave Okinawa late in 2012. So here's the take...

2,516 yen --- $31 usd

4 silver rings with a total weight of 15 grams

My buddy managed to come away with 1,700 yen and one small childs silver ring. I think he's hooked now.
Thanks for stopping by and taking a looky loo

021.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Still at the same beach? You are doing good!

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes... still working this same beach. Okinawa beaches are different....

There's miles of coastline here, pretty water, gorgeous views and great diving and snorkeling everywhere.... but actual 'sandy' beaches are a little more elusive.

Now... narrow that list down some more by having beaches that aren't fishing areas, and you cut the huntable areas down some more

Then find what's left and cut out the ones that don't have a massive audience going to them.

You're left with 50 beaches on island that meet the criteria for effective and promising hunting

BUT you have most of those beaches that are owned by resort hotels... but if you speak Japanese, you might could get away with hunting them. FYI... I don't speak Japanese

So you're effectively left with about 10 public beaches that are fair game most days. While my numbers above might be a bit skewed, you get the idea. To further complicate issues, not every sandy beach that people frequent is a swimming beach either. Jellyfish are abundant here, so if there's not a designated area for swimming (with jellyfish nets), then you won't have a great many people swimming.

I hunt this one beach that's relatively close to me that meets all of the criteria I look for.... age, public beach, close, and a couple other secret things :tongue3:

MarkTwa8n

Greenie
Mar 28, 2011
Bobbypins said:
Yes... still working this same beach. Okinawa beaches are different....

I hunt this one beach that's relatively close to me that meets all of the criteria I look for.... age, public beach, close, and a couple other secret things :tongue3:

Gosh, what are those other "Secret Things"

In Japanese just say this to the resort hotel security guard and see what happens: "kono hoteru no naka, minna wo korosu tsumori desu"

Just kidding...for christ sake don't say the above; it means "I intend to kill everyone inside the hotel."

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Luckily you're the only Japanese guy here Ron :tongue3:

It was a decent night. No complaints. My buddy had a good time, and I see him getting a machine soon. I haven't heard from Jim lately (weeks actually), and even after a few calls and emails I still haven't heard anything. Dunno ???

So if my buddy gets active, it'll be nice to have someone else to go with us Ron. Jason's a cool guy.

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
What about the military beaches such as Tori, White's Beach, and the small beach at the Kadena Marina?

I was stationed at Kadena from 1986-1989 and had a really great time scuba diving there.

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Digger54 said:
What about the military beaches such as Tori, White's Beach, and the small beach at the Kadena Marina?

I was stationed at Kadena from 1986-1989 and had a really great time scuba diving there.

Good memory Digger....
I haven't been to White Beach yet. It's kinda far from Yomitan.
Torii beach I've been to. But I was using my PI machines there, and that place is full of iron. It makes sense because that whole Toguchi area is where the forces came ashore during WW2. Since I bought the Excal to null some iron out, I'll have to go back and give it a shot after I pull some summertime recon.

The Kadena Marina beach, albeit small, should produce like nobody's business if I can get there without it being crowded. They lock that gate down at night and don't open it up until 10am some days. By then everyone wants to go to the beach and it's not big enough for me and a crowd of people.

If I get out to one of those places.... and I WILL get there.... I'll keep you posted :)

HH

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobbypins, I was also stationed there back in 2004-2007. Found my first Gold there. Tiger Beach. Also hunted with a buddy SGTMAJ now retired and working as a school teacher. You may know him. Found allot while there. Look at some of the past posts and you can see. good luck in your hunting.

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I was stationed at Camp Hanson for 13 months. We would snorkle like nobodies business when we weren't training. What a great place to do this. I'm a fish at heart. I found a really nice gold chain about 10 feet down off of White's during a company BBQ.
Nice stuff Bobbypins!

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always good to hear of another convert to the light! Keep dragging them out of the dark brutha! :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang: :notworthy:

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Japanese just say this to the resort hotel security guard and see what happens: "kono hoteru no naka, minna wo korosu tsumori desu"

Just kidding...for christ sake don't say the above; it means "I intend to kill everyone inside the hotel."

I thought this is how to say that... 私はホテル内のすべての人を殺すつもり :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
littlebill31 said:
I was stationed at Camp Hanson for 13 months. We would snorkle like nobodies business when we weren't training. What a great place to do this. I'm a fish at heart. I found a really nice gold chain about 10 feet down off of White's during a company BBQ.
Nice stuff Bobbypins!

Now you're getting me wanting to hunt White beach now. Might have to check it out. It could pay off

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was stationed out there in 97 and at Hansen and Kinser with the MEU and loved every minute of it. Never got into detecting until a few years ago but would have loved to now that I am. I spent day at White Beach loading ships and I bet there are tons of things out there to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread