Oklahoma (Blaine County)

K

Kentucky Kache

Due to their ruggedness and the lack of law enforcement officers during 1800's the Gypsum Hills around Blaine County became a natural refuge for outlaws and the like. Many of Oklahoma's famous outlaw bands had hideouts in the area and crossed the county on their raids.

The first outlaw most likely to take refuge in Blaine County's Gypsum Hills did so during the American Civil War (1861-1865). William Clarke Quantrill, wanted for murder and horse theft in Kansas, fled to Missouri in 1860. With the onset of the War he joined the Confederates leading a small guerrilla force "Quantrill's Raiders" This group which included the infamous "James brothers" staged raids from Kansas into Missouri. Union forces soon declared him an outlaw, while the Confederacy officially made him a captain. After a raid on Lawrence, Kansas (a Union stronghold) Quantrill fled to Texas and in 1865 died on a raid into Kentucky.

William Clarke Quantrill was possibly one of the most dangerous men to fight in the Civil War. Despite this, he and his guerrilla warrior's actions are generally given scant acknowledgment by most Civil War authors.

Three authors who have undertaken detailed research into this notorious guerrilla leader are:

* Edward E. Leslie - The Devil Knows How to Ride,
* Duane P. Schultz - Quantrill's War and
* Albert E. Castel - William Clarke Quantril

Others soon followed Quantrill and during the 1890s the Dalton, Black-Yeager, Doolin, and Al Jennings gangs operated in the area. Apparently the Dalton and the Black-Yeager Gangs buried treasure in Roman Nose State Park, however, the stories are questionable as most originated from imprisoned gang members attempting to bribe their jailers to release them in return for a share of the loot.

Parkerc2003

Sep 16, 2013
Hey I live near Roman nose and my gpa leases alot of land that backs upto romanose. Beautiful country. I medal detect and im a greenhorn. How would you go about starting a treasure hunt out there?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was an outlaw gang who holed-up in a cave in the Glass mountains. They were so well entrenched that the national guard was brought in with cannons and machine guns. IIRC, the gang members didn't survive.

Parkerc2003

Sep 16, 2013
So I could possibly fall into a hole and find skeletons and guns and ratrlesnakes? I better wear pants then! I am having problems finding the excact location of a small town called Oxley southeast of hitchcock 3 miles is as close as I can get. Also, Ive never seen Salt Creek or the salt plains so thats where im headed soon.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it would be "falling into a hole", probably more like climbing into a cave.

Oxley was 6 miles NE of Watonga. It was only there for 7 years, and most likely the site is an empty wheat field today. If you want to find it exactly, you will have to find an old county plat book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread