Oklahoma Forum Cancelled

okie-carbine

Apr 28, 2013
Detector(s) used
still shopping.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no no no please don't cancel!! i just got to the party!

Vampcatt

Greenie
May 1, 2013
Eufaula, Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150, Garrett 250 -
PRO POINTER!! (Finally!)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here... we just got on here, and are in SE Oklahoma.. hope to be quite active on here in the future... doing some research as to where to find some honey holes... for now, we're hunting on our property and local areas. But looking for a good day trip to find some relics and loot :)

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still here checkin this out. US Route 66 ran through Oklahoma and there's a lot of potential for detectin along that route. I lived along side that in western Oklahoma where it cut across Caddo County when I was about 5 years old and would just sit and watch the traffic. Hard to believe, but the volume of traffic was such that you could not just walk across it. Old rest areas and accident sites (those suicide curbs would get you) would be good to detect, if you knew where they were. It would take a lot of work and diligence, but you could just go detect along the right of way along Rte. 66 in western Oklahoma, which I think would be legal, and maybe come up with some good finds but sortin through the trash would take awhile. Hey, everybody who was anybody and didn't want to fly travelled that road. I saw Elvis' bus come by the house a few times but didn't know who it was at the time.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would seem the younger generation doesn't care for history like we used to..maybe due to the fact that kids nowadays prefer xbox and hd television over sitting and listening to the stories of grandparents. Myself born in the mid 70s stuck in a void of sorts between good history and the age of plastic and clad coins.I always in my youth enjoyed a good story from the grandparents.Some folks have interest in history and some just do not. Keep the stories coming RGINN and I miss the treasure tales from Gooner as well.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They eventually come around, CladGrabber. I was born in the mid 50's but we pretty much were livin a 19th century life until the mid 60's when Dad finally got a good job, $1.25 an hour which beat the crap out of 75 cents an hour for farm labor. I was very fortunate to have known family that was born in the l870's and 80's in the Indian Nations of eastern Oklahoma and grew up there. They never talked about much, but I would listen to every story they would tell. People may think the crime rate today is horrendous, but do a little research on what was goin on in the Indian Nations back during that time, and imagine livin and growin up there. Oklahoma has a great history and lots of potential for detecting. Another one on my list of things to do in my golden years is to go and detect along the borders where folks lined up for different land runs. And every place the Kiowas had their annual Sun Dance, which I got a list of those. If I could get permission, might be interesting, you think?

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your thought on where they gathered for the land run.I know of tribal land where pow-wows have been held for generations...getting the ok would be very difficult.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The town I live in now was basically an oil field in the early 1900s as was much of the state...indian allotment before that.I know the location of well #1 that struck oil here, been to the location detecting...no much luck lots of big iron.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still here checkin this out. US Route 66 ran through Oklahoma and there's a lot of potential for detectin along that route. .

Unfortunately, most of it is gone in the western part of the state. I-40 follows the same path and since it has been expanded into a divided, multi-lane the original road, shoulders and rest stops have been graded off and paved under.

There are still parts left if you know what to look for. I remember the old travel stops. I ate lots of lunches on those concrete tables while traveling with my parents.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Plus old rail beds criss-crossing the state and through most counties, along with the stage trails, cattle trails, way stations, etc of past days. In my home county alone there are several "ghost" towns/communities, ferry crossings, abandoned rail bed for the Fort Smith and Western Railroad along with train station sites, cotton gins, country schools, etc etc. We may not have the Revolutionary War sites and few Civil War sites, but I agree.....plenty of history and TH to go around!

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason as far as I know it's mostly still there. At least from Yukon on to the state line. I-40 follows a path from right on top of, to adjacent to, to about a mile south of old 66. 66 is the service road on the north side of the interstate. Two years ago it was still there, cause me and Maria drove it from Hydro up to Hell Reno.

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been doing research on southern Oklahoma around Bryan County trying to find some good places to detect. I'm now living just over the border in Texas, any good treasure stories etc. would be much appreciated, I'll post here with info also. Thanks

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Head Above Water,
There is an old stagecoach road and way station between Durant and Bennington, East of Durant. I had permission from an elderly gentleman to MD on his land, and he was showing me around several old home sites, cellars, and the stage stop. He took me to one old rock cellar and said that he had lived at this place as a kid, and when the cellar was built, he had buried a 1885 Winchester under the second step of the cellar, supposedly to hide it from his brothers. If I remember right, it was 1 mile West of Bennington, and 3/4 to one mile North of US70

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread