Oklahoma gold

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I loaded up my dredge and headed to my parents house. I pull up and my brother is there, him and our dad our in the garage working on something for napping (for making arrowhead). I have already gotten a late start but I help them with what they are working on, having a great time visiting, but still have dredging in the back of my mind. We finish up there project and start unloading my dredge from my pickup to the ATV and trailer. Jump on and off we go to the creek, unloaded it and in the creek I go. First pull and its running and ready to go, I jump in and start dredging finding bedrock about 8" down as my brother and dad sit and watch. Then my daughter and her husband show up. So I go ahead and cut my dredging short but still got about 2 1/2 hrs in. Load it all back up go to the house jump in the shower and its time to eat which was wonderful. They had put a pork roast in the smoker at 10:00am this morning and grilled a pork tender loin, man was it good. Now back to the clean up, I start panning it down and not seeing very much black sand starting to worry I may not get anything today. But wow there it is Oklahoma gold small but still gold! What a great day!!! Here some pic.

image-1859009661.jpg

image-278340684.jpg

image-2315061013.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Okla. prospector

Attachments

• image-2521057242.jpg
    image-2521057242.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 150
  • image-3604521146.jpg
    image-3604521146.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice OK gold! - couple idle questions, why the air line? (8" inches to br). Are you certain it was bedrock? (muddy water). Looks like standard Hungarian
riffles and carpet - nothing "new fangled" to capture that fine gold? Any ideas on where the gold in your creek is coming from? Again, congrats on a nice
outing with family!

P.S. - Is dad a professional flintknapper?

Last edited:
OP
OP
okla. prospector

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The creek was clear enough to see when I started, I almost forgot to take pic. I had started taking it back to the trailer and took some pic before we had it all loaded up. As far as where the the is coming from in that area I have no idea. Yes it's a older dredge but works great or I think it does lol. I didn't use the air this time, but this creek has some deep hole in it. We would fill a 5 gallon bucket from the tailing and check it every 30-45 min and was seeing about 2-4 color very very fine. So I'm happy with that. The creek can handle my 2.5 dredge but if it was any bigger I don't think it can handle it. The spot that I was at Sunday was about four foot deep to the bedrock as we made up the creek the gravel was getting deeper. I grew up on this creek so I know it pretty good, it bedrock all the way up and not much material to move, right behind that is about a 3 foot waterfall. From the waterfall I'm not sure how far down the bedrock is, the creek is spring feed and runs year around. I'm still hoping I can hit a pocket in this creek one of these days maybe but if there is something more I can do to help with this fine gold I'm all ears. My brother is a good flintknapper, he is showing our dad how to do it.
Thanks for the comments!
Okla. prospector

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somehow I missed this thread when you posted it. Congrats, that's some nice looking gold. It may be small but you got a decent amount (actually great for Oklahoma). I don't know where in the state you are, but since this creek is spring fed, I would be looking for higher elevation hills it could be washing down from.

congrats and good luck!

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Like they said, Sweet haul! Good job of panning! Id be willing to bet there is chunkies there! If you can find horizontal shelfs or big cracks. That larger gold is always difficult to get to. I wana see more!!!

OP
OP
okla. prospector

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, one thing that has been strange with panning the cons is the light or blonde sand. Some of it has a silver color to it and it's harder to pan then black sand! Does anyone have any ideas on what it maybe?

MikeMike

Nov 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only Guesses without seeing it.
Any pics ?
Is it heavier than the gold ?
Possible "natural" mercury covered gold ?
Platinum ?

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
I know the material your talking about. Im also stumped as to what it is. Do what i do. Save your cons. When you have a 55 gal drum of fine black sand send out samples for assay. It could make you rich believe it or not.

OP
OP
okla. prospector

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can see it in my pics and there is some in the vial of gold too. I have been keeping my cons so I'm keeping all my heavys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread