Oklahoma metal detector sites

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's been said that there aren't any good sites in OK. I will start it off with one . Wonder if there are many on here from OK.
Roger Mills County: In the late 1850's, a group of mexican miners transporting gold dust and nuggets from the Colorado gold fields was attacked by a band of Indians as they neared the Antelope Hills just NW of Crawford. Before the attack, they hid the gold in a cave on the slope of one of the hills and hastily made a fortress in the rocks. Only two escaped and the gold was never recovered. A Mexican ancestor appeared in the area in 1905 and dug in the Antelope hills for several months without success. Over the years erosion had completely consealed the treasure cave.
Ghost townes in the area: Clifford,on SE slope of Antelope Hills, 3 mi.NW of Crawford.
Hamburg, on the Washita River, 5mi S of Durham.
Redmoon, On the Washita River, 12mi NW of Cheyenne.
Downey, 3ni NE of Roll.
Frank

Upvote 0

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Adrian, I would love to help you out but I must admitt I did not find the Great Salt Plaines lake on the map. All my material is indexed by county and a city would help. OK has over 900 listings. If you give me the county and city, I will look it us. Frank

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K frank it's in Alfalfa county, & the city is going to be either Jet, or...nescatubga. Try both...Nescatunga is a village, not even on the map...but maybe by now

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Adrian, I found nothing on that town or village. OK sites are hard to track because OK didn't exist before the Civil War. It was called Indian territory so the listings are scattered. I found other listings, but nothing else in that county other than listed in the #17 topic above. I have about 50 books on treasure locations, some on specific states, but none exclusively on OK. Frank

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
K frank it's in Alfalfa county, & the city is going to be either Jet, or...nescatubga. Try both...Nescatunga is a village, not even on the map...but maybe by now
Nescatunga is a community or populated place (Class Code U5) located in Alfalfa County at latitude 36.753 and longitude -98.153. (Nescatunga Panoramio Photos). The elevation is 1,145 feet. Nescatunga appears on the Manchester SW U.S. Geological Survey Map. Alfalfa County is in the Central time zone (GMT -6). Observes DST? Yes. Current Time. | Jet, OK ZIP Code Maps | Nescatunga local area photos

http://oklahoma.hometownlocator.com/ok/alfalfa/nescatunga.cfm

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
@gov.....wow...so it is on the map?

I guess that is where it is.....I looked up old plat map but it did not show a town or community.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@gov.....it's one of those little communities right of the lake...I guess that's the best way to explain it. My dad told me their is buried gold underneath the spillway....I guess that's why I'm so curious about the lake itself. I know it's a man made lake..built back in the 50's or 60's maybe, so not much history to lake itself, but the area.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Adrian, If it's buried, it's in the ground not the water. If I was in the area I would be looking around below that spillway. Sounds like a great adventure and that is what treasure hunting is all about. The thrill of the hunt takes the cake, finding it is the icing. Frank

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right Frank! I'm getting ready to go to that site by PC. It's private property, & I'm kinda nervous about asking someone to hunt on their land if I can even find out who it is. Never done this before

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Adrian, The closest neighbor usually know who ownes the land. When you find the owner,tell them there is an old tale of treasure being buried on the property and you would like to look for it. Don't give away any clues like under the spillway. If permission isn't given, spice up the deal by offering them a share of the treasure. I usually go 50/50. Look at it this way, they can only say yes or no. And if they say no they loose too. Good Luck, Frank

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Frank, you're so right & always such good advice. SOOOO.....with that being said, where should I go tomorrow? In Kingfisher or Garfield county? I'll have fun wherever....but what do you think?

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Adrian, When I have a decision to make and its more or less a tossup I think about it just before I go to sleep. The morning usually brings the answer. Happy Hunting, Frank

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the same way Frank. And when I make random decisions....ugh....bad luck. Wish I had more insight & knowledge of a good place that would be worth a whole day of detecting. I guess I need to study....

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Adrian, The research is the hard work. The hunt is the pleasure and the finds are the satisfaction.
I have just spent over 6 months looking for a big cache site with another TH and we still haven't found the farm. But we are both still looking because there is so much good documentation on the cache. Frank

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Adrian, The closest neighbor usually know who ownes the land. When you find the owner,tell them there is an old tale of treasure being buried on the property and you would like to look for it. Don't give away any clues like under the spillway. If permission isn't given, spice up the deal by offering them a share of the treasure. I usually go 50/50. Look at it this way, they can only say yes or no. And if they say no they loose too. Good Luck, Frank

Never, never, never mention the words treasure, gold or silver when asking permission. You are much more likely to arouse a persons greed and then they will not let you detect there. They will want to try to find it themselves.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The greed factor is what gets you permission. They know they can't find it themselves when you explane that you have this special expensive equipment that can locate it. The greed factor tells them that 1/2 is better than"0". It has worked for me. You notice I said use the 50/50 offer after the initial rejection. Stirring up that greed is sometimes helpfull. Jest out of curiosity Jason, what do you tell them you are looking for? Frank

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would tend to agree with Frank, & wouldn't it be weird just to show up @ someones door in the middle of nowhere & ask. Then they would know theres more to it..

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
The greed factor is what gets you permission. They know they can't find it themselves when you explane that you have this special expensive equipment that can locate it. The greed factor tells them that 1/2 is better than"0". It has worked for me. You notice I said use the 50/50 offer after the initial rejection. Stirring up that greed is sometimes helpfull. Jest out of curiosity Jason, what do you tell them you are looking for? Frank

Use whatever method you like, but I've never found that stirring up greed helps anything.

I tell them that I like looking for old tokens, coins, and other artifacts from the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread