old 1 inch penny ... so what is it?

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
old '1 inch penny' ... so what is it?

Since I started collecting coins I've turned my grandpa back on to looking at his old collection.... Did I mention I love this hobby!!!!!!!

He has some old stuff to include 4 silver dollars, 14 IH cents and some wheat pennies to name a few...He also stated the following, and I quote...

"I also last night just found a us penny that is 1inch in diameter.I can't make out the date. Looks like a ladies head on it. The back has "one cent"in the middle and united states of america around that"

Any idea on the coin...I'm looking but have yet to find something, figured something would turn up quicker here. Interesting though.

Dan

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: old '1 inch penny' ... so what is it?

Love those large cents. Don't know if anyone has found one crhing. I'm hoping to dig one up in '09. Villiages in my area established in the '1830's. AMC

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett

AMC rulz said:
Love those large cents. Don't know if anyone has found one crhing. I'm hoping to dig one up in '09. Villiages in my area established in the '1830's. AMC
Don't think anyone would be pulling any large cents from crhing. A large cent is larger than a quarter in diameter, yet much smaller than a half. Therefore, it wouldn't fit into any current US coinage rolls. Although nobody thought anyone would ever find gold while crhing, and it happend last year when someone pulled a gold coin out of a quarter roll. So I guess anything could happen. Good Luck AMC on finding one this year in the field.

I though I would include a pic of my 1845 large cent. A nice coin (except for the scratch on her neck, OUCH!)

cmhoose

Attachments

• 1845 Large Cent.jpg
    1845 Large Cent.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 258
OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town

After telling him about the coinfacts website, he was said it looks like the Matron Large Cent, which was minted between 1816-1839. He said the date is unreadable, and I wasn't able to get a picture. But cool nonetheless!!!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro

yea its a Large cent.
IN my opinion there great coins. I have dug alot metal detecting. They where minted from 1792 or 3 to about 1857. cool coins though

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AMC rulz said:

I got one from a bag of half dollars last year. It was pretty worn and couldn't tell the date. It was in one of those strange bags that show up from time to time. 1 large cent, 1 british large cent, 2 barber halfs, 5 WL halfs, 5 Franklin halves and a whole bunch of other silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions