Old 1830 Spanish Piece????

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance of you posting a pic of both sides of the coin?

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Tennessee. Perchance would your uncle need assistance in finding more of these? I'm pretty handy with my detector ;D

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My uncle found a silver $20 coin in a field while farming in TN. On one side it has what looks like a Conquistador helmet, with sun-rays comming from behind the helmet. on the reverse side, it has the date 1830, and an eagle. Any help would be great ??? ??? ???
[/quote]
~~~~~

A) Any resembance? If so it is a Piece of 8, "8 Reales" It is about 1 1/2 in dia.

Till Eulenspeigle

Attachments

• .jpg8 Reales.jpg
    .jpg8 Reales.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 848
  • .jpg8 Reales.jpg
    .jpg8 Reales.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 847
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY SIMILAR, ALTHOUGH HIS IS DATED 1830. AND IN EXTREMELY REMARKABLE SHAPE. ANY ID ON THE VALUE????? ;D ;D
[/quote]
~~~
A) go to Google, "type in "8 reales coin values" and see what you come up with.

Till Eulenspeigle

knuckleman

Mar 11, 2006
Go to wscoin.com and type in for a mexican 2 reale.The site has some nice pictures,hope it helps.

knuckleman

White Shadow

Apr 16, 2006
It is referred to as a " cap and rays" 8 reale coin. It and other mexican coins were legal tender in the U.S. for many years. I think right up until the War of Northern Aggression. I have a friend who is one of the world authorities on Mexican coins. If you were to post the text that appears on the coin I could maybe give you an idea of what similar coins from that year range and mint have sold for recently.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions