Old Arizona site- Pottery and flint

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
My son and I have been poking around an area holding some Native pottery and flint. This week we found this fleshing knife and some nice pot pieces as usual, but never before much of the same pot.
This trip we were able to dig up most of what we hope is a single pot, assembly instructions not included!
There are hundreds of small pieces we have found in the past. Most stuff is no more than an inch down, or showing on the surface after wind or rain.

Attachments

• Pottery (400 x 300).jpg
    Pottery (400 x 300).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Scraper and pottery (400 x 300).jpg
    Scraper and pottery (400 x 300).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 236
  • Scraper (450 x 338).jpg
    Scraper (450 x 338).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 252
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
The two places are a hundred yards apart. I have heard the clay colors to be Hohokam and the black pots (aside from burned) Anastasi, but have found both basically together.

We have also found a modest brass buckle amoungst the pottery, which I'll be posting in the what is section. Looks to me to be off a saddle. We have only just begun to concentrate on this area we have known of for twenty years!

D

Del-Oro

Hi.
enjoyed hearing about your venture its * GREAT* and I'm real interested in the patterns on the pottery we have tons around here. ( Land Of the Anasazi & Mesa Verda)
I'm interested in Arizona's Laws and regulations about hunting Indian
artifacts as we get into Az. now and then and have done some rock hounding but been afraid to acquire any pottery shards.
I live in the 4 corners area and Ut .& Co. forbid us to do that here.
Happy Hunting
Del-Oro

OP
OP
A

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
AZ follows the Feds in not allowing any collection on lands they own. Further, you are required to report finds as well!

Burial sites are no-go on private land, but other wise limits are up to the owner.

I find the goofiest thing to be it illegal to re-produce specific antiquities, even when labeled as such. Copyrights and patents run out for all of us, and become public domain. But take something made a thousand years ago and whoa, you cant even do a title search for the rights!

Trading in this stuff isn't necessary illegal but very tricky as far as safe investments go. Who knows what comes up next.

Apache Chief Cochise is lying around here someplace (RIP, Dude), but if someone did stumble on him, I wonder if the laws would cause it more likely to be looted and worst yet never known. Wonder what the state would do, put up a placard and a parking lot?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread