Old Asian Vase or Recent Imitation?

Coyotlviejo

Jan 15, 2022
Oregon, USA
I got this blue ceramic vase for $7 at a second-hand shop today. It's made with a brown clay and is somewhat rustic in its construction. Lots of pits in the glaze, and the base is unglazed. I can't tell if it was coiled or turned on a wheel. No makers mark. I suspect it's old, but I'm not sure. The bird looks very Asian, but I guess it could be a replica made anywhere. If anyone can tell me the provenance of this piece, I'd certainly appreciate it!

If nothing else, it's a treasure to me!
20220115_183904.jpg

Attachments

• 20220115_195455.jpg
    20220115_195455.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Upvote 2

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this blue ceramic vase at a second-hand shop today. It's made with a brown clay and is somewhat rustic in its construction. Lots of pits in the glaze, and the base is unglazed. I can't tell if it was coiled or turned on a wheel. No makers mark. I suspect it's old, but I'm not sure. The bird looks very Asian, but I guess it could be a replica made anywhere. If anyone can tell me the provenance of this piece, I'd certainly appreciate it!

If nothing else, it's a treasure to me!
View attachment 2003783
Nice!!'!!!

OP
OP
Coyotlviejo

Coyotlviejo

Jan 15, 2022
Oregon, USA
Nice!!'!!!
Thanks! Wherever it's from, I suspect it was made for the tourist trade, given the rough interior and the pitted glaze. But even then, the painting is exquisite. It almost seems like a less skilled person made the vase and applied the blue glaze, then handed it over to a skilled painter to do the birds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread