Old bible found.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the story earlier, but what interested me was that I also see Christs signature on the page!

S

Smee

mcgearhead said:
Was the bible around at the time of Jesus ? I thought all that they had back then were the scrolls. Didn't the bible come later after His death ? I may be wrong, I don't know everything !

During Jesus' earthly ministry, the scriptures were indeed on scrolls. The codex (forerunner of our modern "page turning") became somewhat popular during the first century (depending on your source), although existing prior.

According to one source:

Initially, codices were often made of wax-coated wooden tablets. Written waxed polyptychs, or tablets hinged together on their long side, were found at Herculaneum, a town destroyed along with Pompeii by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 C.E. Eventually, rigid tablets were replaced by sheets of foldable material. In Latin, these codices, or books, were called membranae, or parchments, after the leather generally used for their pages.

So, it is possible that this codec could be that old, but it is highly unlikely as the article mentions several things that show it was written later than the 1st century AD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread