old boyscout camp

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found out about an old scout camp not to far from my work(10 min)from my buddy mike that him & his dad use to belong to,it closed dowm in the early 70's.mike did some recon on the net and found a picture of his dad when he was a kid(pretty cool).we got a old map of the camp so i hit it last sat(mike could'nt make it,he went to a flower show with his wife..how sad,priorities)the camp is in a pretty populated area but if u didn't know about it u never guess.it looks like when the camp shut down they just tore down the buildings and left alot of junk metal.didn't find anything but junk and a cool 21 inch gate hinge(heavy),gonna try and find the other hinge today and have them sandblasted 4 mike so he could hang 'um on a wall,i figure him and his dad probably swung that gate open pretty often so it would be a nice memory(his dad passed a while ago)

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Bomb,

glad you got out to the camp. Is this the same one you
were searching for info on a few weeks back? (Dearborn?)

Was at one few weeks past, same situation, tore it down,
lots of junk.

In the past I have had more success hunting the old trails and
roads around these camps rather than the main camp area.

If you have a map like you said, that is a big plus.

have a good un....

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah,its the same one,i think i'm the only one whos set foot it there in over 40 yrs,its funny because u can see traffic and bike paths and its still hidden

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the Boy Scout camp be sure to check the tent camping area for buried bugle mouth pieces. The boys would step on a bugler's mouth piece to bury it so they could sleep in a little later and it was much fun. I have found four and they are silver so they go off loud and aren't deep. You'll also dig up lots of tin foil as scouts were taught to bury scrap food.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread