Old Brass Instrument -- 19th Century Tuba?

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this old tuba-looking thing in the garbage, but the mechanism for playing it is really unusual, unlike any modern tuba or trumpet I've ever seen. You press the three buttons and then these valves turn to make the notes. Could this be an early 19th century tuba? The name is on a royal crest on the top of the instrument -- A. Abbate & Figlio Napoli
19th Century Tuba 11 1 2018.jpg

Upvote 6
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting instrument...nice find! :icon_thumleft:

Willieg

Nov 16, 2017
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very cool!!!!!! Nice find

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome save from the trash! It may be a Euphonium but a Tuba/Sousaphone (small Tuba) is also possible. My Grandson played the Baritone, Euphonium and Tuba in Grade School and High School and played with the High School Band from the 5th Grade on. He is proficient in quite a few other instruments and helped his sisters with the Flute, Trumpet and Saxophone.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have grabbed it also some of those are very collectible and pricy Good job!!!!!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have grabbed it also some of those are very collectible and pricy Good job!!!!!!

I agree! A somewhat local Estate Sales Company was selling a rare Violin last year that was in poor condition in an Estate Sale. While not as rare and expensive as a Stradivarius, it might have fetched $50,000 or more at auction if completely restored. However, due to it's poor condition, it would have cost well over $10,000 to have it restored in Europe not to mention any shipping and insurance costs, so most buyers passed on it including myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread