Upvote 0

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
Re: Old Buckle & Coin/ID needed

no help here,, but where did ya get a measuring device like that ?? and what's it called,, thanx, rick....

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Hey, Rick, thanks. Send a PM to earthworks about the device. It's his, he can tell you

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Sorry, no clue on the coin, Burgie...
I find buckles like that quite often, but I'm not exactly sure what they were used for. Some type of harness, I would guess...

Green1,,, The measuring device is what they call a "Caliper". You can usually find them at most stores, and Big Lots usually has them fairly cheap as well...
Here's some for sale at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=553250

Good luck on the ID Bergie, & Happy hunting~

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The buckle is most probably a harness buckle as said above. Probably not more than 100 years old.

Coin is :D your be lucky

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax

Yep, I agree on harness buckle. The coin looks like an old copper but it's so worn we'll probably never know for sure what kind. Still, a nice pair of finds.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry, but even with your photo and with the weight and diameter, it is impossible to say with any certainty what the copper is. The problem being there were so many lightweight, undersized King George III and King George III Irish Halfpence coppers made that it most likley could be one of them, and perhaps it if were mine and I took every measure possible to see ANY design or lettering, than I would label it as a KGIII ???? (Or what it appears to be -Blank Copper)

Very few of the old coppers that are regal are close to those measurements, and to say it is one of those would be pure conjecture.

Blank coppers are nice to find! NOT, maybe take a brass brush to it and see if you see any details whatsover.

I believe for those of us fortunate enough to live in areas where the old coppers are found have all found blanks at one time or another. Those colonial era coppers were in circulation for a long time, one reason most William III coppers are almost blank in general. It is not a William III btw. :)

The buckle is as others have said, a common harness buckle, most probable.

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Sorry, but even with your photo and with the weight and diameter, it is impossible to say with any certainty what the copper is. The problem being there were so many lightweight, undersized King George III and King George III Irish Halfpence coppers made that it most likley could be one of them, and perhaps it if were mine and I took every measure possible to see ANY design or lettering, than I would label it as a KGIII ???? (Or what it appears to be -Blank Copper)

Very few of the old coppers that are regal are close to those measurements, and to say it is one of those would be pure conjecture.

Blank coppers are nice to find! NOT, maybe take a brass brush to it and see if you see any details whatsover.

I believe for those of us fortunate enough to live in areas where the old coppers are found have all found blanks at one time or another. Those colonial era coppers were in circulation for a long time, one reason most William III coppers are almost blank in general. It is not a William III btw. :)

The buckle is as others have said, a common harness buckle, most probable.

Don

Your 15th word was the word answer I was ready to post before I got to the bottom of the thread. Impossible.

You didn't mention Condor/Trade tokens which are similar in size so is fair to assume they're something you don't find often? Not an uncommon find in my parts but we still had plenty of settlers from Britain through the early 1800s.

As for the blank coppers, ground condition plays the biggest role. I'd say my hunting bud and I find at least one each time out.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I also have found several apparent blank, worn down to the point of nothing, coins. One is the size of a large cent, another the size of a penny and nickel. Obviously extremely old like yours, but no clue whatsoever as to what they may have been. Frustrating as all get-out. The only King George copper that I have ever found was in Goldsboro, NC, and it is so worn that you can barely make out the outline of the head and on the back, the image, but cannot make out the date at all. I feel your pain! Bryan

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with the buckle ID given above. Blank coppers are unfortunate. I recently found one that was worn flat AND holed :( No way to tell what it is either. I may take a photo and post it eventually...

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions