Old button found near gold mine

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone, glad to be a new member! Ok so i was swinging my fisher f2 a 1/2 mile or so down slope of an old gold mine that was abandoned in the 1860s near Riverside County, California. I came upon this button stamped "Chapman Bury St Edmunds". I was unable to find any info on google other than Bury St. Edmunds is a city in England. I did find a listing for a 'John Chapman' who was a tailor in Bury St. Edmunds. If anyone could give me some info or help me date this button, it would be extremely appreciated! Im not concerned about its worth, I'm just fascinated when i discover something thats been in the ground for so many years. The pic is not great, but best i could do on my macro setting. Thanks in advance, Scott

Attachments

• DSCF0149.jpg
    DSCF0149.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 593
Upvote 0

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Welcome to t-net! I don't have any info on your button but probably others soon will. I've found only three metal buttons, one with an eagle on front, one with an anchor, and the last one with the name of an old jeans company. Like your button, my eagle button was made in England. I hope you find many more interesting things! Andi

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those were often on "underwear",,and most were made in England.I have seen them date from the mid 1850's-

deltamann

Sep 30, 2010
Northern New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F-75 LTD, Blisstool V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the button...Any button is a good button.

We find lots of metal buttons much like your here in Virginia when we hunt for Civil War relics.

I will PM you with a cool button mark link later today after I get home from work.

Deltamann

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Those were often on "underwear",,and most were made in England.I have seen them date from the mid 1850's-
shirts as well, pretty much anything other than coats...

No-one really pays much attention to 4 hole button backmarks, so I think the info you already have might be as close as you get. (could be wrong as I have done little research on them but I think I may have noticed if they had) :thumbsup:

If you put a date 1900 give or take 20 years that is probably not far off. :icon_thumright:

welcome to tnet & get out & find more :hello:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^^^This guy finds hundreds of them!!!

I do enjoy seeing one in my scoop,as sometimes you can get info from them.I will look through mine and see if I have one by the same maker

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,416659.0.html
Quite recently I found a Viking coin from about AD900, it was celebrating St Edmunds Stainthood. The person who gave his name to the town in Suffolk where he was buried there as a martyr King. (basic translation; Burial place of St Edmund) :thumbsup:
Just a piece of useless history that connects our recent finds :hello:

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely forgot that I posted my brass button and I just saw all the great responses from last August! Thanks everyone so much for all the great info. I was thinking early 1900's or so, but it was exciting to see it could be mid to late 1800s! this is such a fun hobby, especially uncovering something that someone last touched sometimes 100 years ago or more. The trash can be discouraging of course, but I to pull out some of my more interesting finds from the past and I get inspired to continue the hunt! Thanks again everyone, Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread