Old Button ...ID help needed

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
This evening I returned to the field where I dug the gold and silver buckle the other day. I found more melted brass...pieces of silverware, brass whatsits, glass and china shards , and found an old button that appears to be late 1700's - early 1800's. My camera will not produce a clear image so I will describe it to the best of my abiiities. It is about the diameter of a lincoln penny , it is thick and relatively heavy for its size , it is a 1-piece button with a beveled and raised rim. on the face of the button is a crown and beneath the crown is a shield of sorts and beneath the shield is a ribbon. There appears to be something on either side of the shield but I haven't thoroughly cleaned the button yet (maybe a lion's head on the left?). Above the crown is the word "WARRANTED" and below the ribbon is the word "SUPERIOR" . The shank is missing but there is a square protrusion from the back of the button where the shank was affixed. The ribbon may or may not have tiny lettering in it ,,,I can't tell yet. Any help in Id-ing this button would be appreciated . There is no backmark on the button.

I also found a large piece of iron that i cannot identify and will post it in the "What Is It " forum tomorrow.

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gxray, from what you're describing I'm wondering if it may not be a button at all, but instead something along the lines of the kind of medalion we find in a saw handle or some other product?

OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
johnnyi said:
gxray, from what you're describing I'm wondering if it may not be a button at all, but instead something along the lines of the kind of medalion we find in a saw handle or some other product?
johnny , I think you are correct...a quick google search suggests this may be a saw handle medallion. I found a pic of what i found on colchester treasures website ...here is the pic i found that matches what i found today .

Attachments

• superior.jpg
    superior.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 268

spritch

Sep 13, 2007
Commerce,Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites MXT
I have found two of them. I agree that they are from the handles of hand saws. I sent one to Mark Parker long ago and that is what he identified it as.
Stuart

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread