Old Cabin finds

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur,garrett,micropulse
My new neighbor just took a frontendloader to a real nice old log cabin on the back of his property and pushed it into a pile.I am learning the tones in my excalibur and took it over there for a while today.There is a lot of trash from the demolished cabin mixed in with the dirt so its real good practice. I found two shotgun brass ends a brass minature light bulb a 1945-D wheat penny a 1943 nickle and a1957-1960 dime,yea thats right a 1957-1960 silver dime two headed! Whoever done it did a good job on it . I only spent about an hour there,need to go back and see what else is there .AFTER I get the straight shaft I ordered from Mark .This excalibur is really cumbersome the way its designed. Good luck Bob

Attachments

• coin finds  double head dime 002.jpg
    coin finds double head dime 002.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 599
Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds...there should be more. Gogitem!!

HH :)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
WTG...There should be alot more there if that was a log cabin....Good Luck and hope to see some more great finds

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find's,you should ask if there are any more place's around....HH!!

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee
Suwannee,

Interesting finds. A double headed dime? Did they have outhouses in Fl. ?
I know the elevation in most areas might make a outhouse kinda difficult.
Just curious, I lived in Naples for a few years.

Smartin

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhh... :'( It seems so sad to me for an old homestead to be gone forever. I have found several pieces of silver at the log house I hunted last month. I had to go back a couple of times and still may go back and look again! ;)

Congrats on your finds and hope you find many more!

Nana ;)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a place with some promise. That 2-headed dime is a great find.

I hope you're going back, pirate.

OP
OP
suwannee pirate

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
Thanks, I plan on going back this weekend,its just twenty feet past my property line in the woods . the cabin was pretty old made out of 6 inch logs and later covered with asphalt type roll roofing with a later add on room. If I had known that it would be destroyed I would have had it moved to my property. What is left sure doesn't look like a log cabin. It was most likely slave or sharecropper quarters as this was a major agricultural area long ago. I haven't found the outhouse area as of yet as I haven't had the time .But I found two small pit dumps on my property next to the cabin area . I have not had the time to investigate those yet .I have a friend that likes to dig bottles and I will let him do those as he has not found any new sites for several years and those will cheer him up [been grumpy]. With some luck I may have a few more good finds there .The guy with the loader really tore the place up and I think he may of even buried some of the place.There are old sink holes on most of the old farms around here that are a cornucopia of old discarded treasures but you have to dig down through 20 feet of modern trash to get down to the real old stuff. Bob

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds! Tsgman

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find, can you show a close up of the obverse and reverse? Just curious. HH, Mike

OP
OP
suwannee pirate

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
Here are both sides of the dime ,sorry about the crummy camera, couldn't get it to show any more detail Bob

Attachments

• coin finds  double head dime Closeup 003.jpg
    coin finds double head dime Closeup 003.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 435
  • coin finds  double head dime Closeup 002.jpg
    coin finds double head dime Closeup 002.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 429

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee
Bob,

I never new there were double headed coins. I'm not a coin person and have never really been interested in coins, but I'm becoming interested as I'm finding old coins.

Thanks for the pictures.

Smartin

S

southbound

Rare to say the least!!! If it's real then it's worth some bucks. Vern

OP
OP
suwannee pirate

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
I don't know how rare they are .I belive that it is two dimes sliced into and sodered back together ,in order to take unfair advantage of a sucker in a gambeling situation. I don't understand why the different dates ,thats a big tell . Bob

A

Angela (Australia)

I like your coins Bob. I've been noticing a lot of very interesting relics lately from over there. Nice to find silver though. Angela :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread