Old Cameo from the Rummage Sale

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never pick up jewelry, it just hasn't been my thing...yet. Jewelry is like cars to me, another language. I'm more of a video game / clothing / electronics / toys kind of guy. But i'm looking to learn a bit. I know Cameos can have some value, so I grabbed one at the rummage sale last week for $3.

I'm not here assuming this one is anything special, it's pretty beat up and looks like a lower quality, but does look like it has some age and I would like to just learn a bit from it.

Not sure even what metals and materials this piece is made from. Lady at the rummage asked me if it was ivory and i said I don't think so!

There is no manufacturer name on the piece. Anything you can tell me regarding this piece and other Cameos, things to keep an eye out for, is appreciated.

Thanks.
Jeff

Attachments

• 20160407_154731.jpg
    20160407_154731.jpg
    1,016.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 20160407_154741.jpg
    20160407_154741.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • 20160407_154753.jpg
    20160407_154753.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 154
  • 20160407_154803.jpg
    20160407_154803.jpg
    807.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 20160407_154815.jpg
    20160407_154815.jpg
    675.7 KB · Views: 155

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The type of clasp will usually give it away. If you check eBay check Victorian clasps or victorian brooch and check the photos. Just for future help. It's the small things that matter and there are several times I get home and take a 2nd look and say, this is not good...

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always loved cameos. True carved cameos. It is an art, imo, more than anything. Starting from the shell to carving, to a finished piece.
I watched when they had a young man from Italy on one of the tv shopping channels, he would talk of sourcing cameos from different carvers. That those who know and work with certain carving artists, can look at a piece and tell you who made it. I know I don't have that type expertise with them, lol.
Yeah, thanks to mass manufacturing, anyone can make a mold and stamp out countless resin ones.
Are you able to tell if yours is resin or shell? I was trying to think of a black and white shell, that one could be carved from.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always loved cameos. True carved cameos. It is an art, imo, more than anything. Starting from the shell to carving, to a finished piece.
I watched when they had a young man from Italy on one of the tv shopping channels, he would talk of sourcing cameos from different carvers. That those who know and work with certain carving artists, can look at a piece and tell you who made it. I know I don't have that type expertise with them, lol.
Yeah, thanks to mass manufacturing, anyone can make a mold and stamp out countless resin ones.
Are you able to tell if yours is resin or shell? I was trying to think of a black and white shell, that one could be carved from.

We have a shed at our transfer station (dump) in town. They call it the "take it, leave it " shed. A few years ago (6-8ish), I found a beautiful carved shell cameo with 14k framework. Free!! I flipped it a few days later for something like $350!!! That was just one of many scores from the dump!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a shed at our transfer station (dump) in town. They call it the "take it, leave it " shed. A few years ago (6-8ish), I found a beautiful carved shell cameo with 14k framework. Free!! I flipped it a few days later for something like $350!!! That was just one of many scores from the dump!
I just sold (about a month ago) a nice pair of cameo earrings from my Etsy store, cheaper than that. And, I also got a real nice cameo & diamond pendant/pin up in the store now for $220.
Dang, I may have low-balled that piece, huh? I've seen cameos, be kinda like pearls, sometimes ya can't seem to give the things away, other times...... :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread