Old Car Batterys

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Ok, cleaning up around my Great Uncles place in the Catskills and ran across a big pile of old car batteries, (maybe 20 lead acid- both 12 volt and 6 volt) (the 6 volt were from an old 1949 Mercury that they had). Well, anyway, I figure to find a place to take them to along with some old RV Large house batteries that my Dad has behind his garage. Anyway, I remember reading on the forum that you could get cash for dead car batteries, but I am not sure where to look for such a place. I know where one is out in Indiana, where my father-in-law goes with his scrap metals, but searching online for a local scrap yard, all I seem to come up with is either Auto Recyclers, or Industrial clean scrap companies. Due to the weight involved, I don't want to drive great distrances with the price of gas. Is there a internet site out there that I am missing, or a 'search term' that would better get me to a place that will give me $$ for my load of old batteries? Also, what is a good 'going' price per pound for batteries? I know I have heard that places give $2 or $3 for a car battery, but some of these are BIG batteries, and I think I would do better on a 'by the pound' basis than for by the piece.

daveg13

Aug 1, 2008
You should be able to take them to any scrap yard. Last time I took some, I got $5 each.

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
The only time I took in batteries I was paid by the lb and walked out with $12 for 3 small car batteries...

Best bet is to ask people around your town or look in the phone book for the closest scrap yard. With the weight you have, I do think it could be worth a little bit in gas $$....call around first though...check prices.

I took mine in because I needed gas $$ and there is a yard less than 2 miles from me, but if I were to drive 1/2 hour away I would have doubled my $$ easily, because the one really close pays dirt....I just didn't have the gas $$ to go 1/2 hour away, lol.

Good luck, and happy scrapping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread