old cast iron kettle find

missabear

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey every one.

my brother-in-law steered me toward this site to try to help identify something i've found.

i live in northern Michigan and my husband and i just bought a house. my brother-in-law and i were digging up stumps one day and uncovered this tea pot. It was pretty rusted so i cleaned it up as best i could, i don't know anything about the previous owners or any property history unfortunately. the bottom had no giant maker's mark, it looks like it had something on it but it's eroded badly and also a small stamp on the left of the second photo. it almost looks like the big dipper.
i don't expect that it's some relic or anything, i just find it weird that it was buried by a tree stump.

any clues or advice would be nice

photo (9).JPG
photo (10).JPG

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks in pretty good shape... Like it has not been in the ground many years.

I searched on-line for 'cast iron tea kettle' and saw several just like it. I don't believe it is very old. Maybe mid 20th C at the oldest.

I'd clean it up and use it.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

missabear

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys. we do plan to use it on the top of our wood stove. i need to get my brother-in-law's metal detector out here. i've dug up old square iron nails too. wonder what else it out there

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread