Old Charleston Naval Shipyard

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out to the old Charleston Navy yard today. It was really interesting! Some of the prominent buildings have been maintained, most have not. There is a memorial park with a boardwalk and a few businesses have taken over nearby buildings. I believe there is an initiative to utilize some of the base that has not been maintained already by the shipyard. Lots of no trespassing signs. I found an old picnic and playground area... It was pretty isolated, so tempted to break out my metal detector. I am 99.9% sure it's forbidden, historic area. Any one else been out here??

Here are a few pics. Part of the hospital, the high school, what I think are dorms, and maybe the chow hall. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428444778.466477.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428444854.635711.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428444873.913199.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428444907.474001.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428444947.149848.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428445031.779453.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428445056.063701.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428445098.281056.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428445123.694708.jpg

Upvote 0

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow looks very promising

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they don't like you digging around "their" historical sites. I even offered to let them keep everything I found at one out here. No luck. Which is a real shame. Think of what is lost at these places.

OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, they don't like you digging around "their" historical sites. I even offered to let them keep everything I found at one out here. No luck. Which is a real shame. Think of what is lost at these places.

I know! What a shame!

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the areas that you want to detect marked no trespassing? If not then you might want to research and see who actually owns the property at this time. It might actually be public property. I mean if you were there and no one said anything about being on the property?I don't blame you for wanting to detect there. Good luck!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The mansion in the bottom pic looks really nice. I am envious of you Low County hunters. Good luck and don't run from the cops in North Charleston!

OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My understanding is ZERO detecting in Historic areas In SC. I know the Navy Yard applied to be a historic location pand believe they were granted it. I was interested in a thread I read on Tnet about who has actually been issued fines/ arrested and it looked like it almost never happens... However most of is try to abide by the rules:) I found several spots where I felt like the odds of getting caught would slim to none- but knowing it was wrong gets me[emoji19]. Plus I would like to avoid being arrested! I had a conversation w a gentleman who says he is the largest dealer of Authentic Slave Tags in the US. He personally has just a few less than the museam w the largest collection. He spun me up on te history of the Slave tags and showed me an actual tag he had on location. He told me that the fines are very real here in Charleston and know several relic hunters that were arrested and fined. It was enough to scare me.

OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It just kills me that the buildings can be covered by graffiti, destroyed by squatters and crumbling to the ground- heaven forbid you bring a metal detector out there [emoji45]

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I wouldn't doubt it's been detected ad-nauseum (it's abandoned for pete's sake). We too had a base close down near me. And like yours was peppered with "no trespassing signs" on the derelict buildings (because homeless people had tried to take up residence in them, and people were stealing recyclable metals, etc...). But the way we interpretted the signs, was it meant to not go IN the buildings. But had nothing to with the streets that go BY them (or the lawns adjacent to the open sidewalks, etc...).

One time we even got stopped and questioned. And when I pointed out that ... "yes...we weren't *in* the buildings with the signs on them", the guy shrugged his shoulders, and drove off.

I can't speak exactly for your situation (because ours was not labeled necessarily "historic" since it only dates to WWII). But .... just saying I bet it's been detected many times.

OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't doubt it's been detected ad-nauseum (it's abandoned for pete's sake). We too had a base close down near me. And like yours was peppered with "no trespassing signs" on the derelict buildings (because homeless people had tried to take up residence in them, and people were stealing recyclable metals, etc...). But the way we interpretted the signs, was it meant to not go IN the buildings. But had nothing to with the streets that go BY them (or the lawns adjacent to the open sidewalks, etc...).

One time we even got stopped and questioned. And when I pointed out that ... "yes...we weren't *in* the buildings with the signs on them", the guy shrugged his shoulders, and drove off.

I can't speak exactly for your situation (because ours was not labeled necessarily "historic" since it only dates to WWII). But .... just saying I bet it's been detected many times.

I'm sure! It's just great to find a spot with some history. I'm military, and we are looking at leaving Charleston soon :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions