Old coin find! 1858 seated liberty half. Condition questions.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on a bit of a garage sale break due to a vacation but today I found something that I couldn't pass up, especially on the price. I don't have every coin value/key date memorized but it seemed worth the price:icon_thumleft: image.jpg image.jpg

Since I don't have my red book with me I was hoping the members on here would assist me in grading the coin. Aside from the dark toning, it looks really nice!

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You realize that is a 1858 O not just an 1858 tho the value is about the same other than in uncirculated condition. Dealer value in good condition is $37, fine is $50 & EF is $95 & uncirculated is $420 significantly less than the 1858 P (no mark) that says $731.

Yours is deff ef but what level of ef I'm not so sure from just pix?
Picture 21.png
http://www.coinstudy.com/seated-liberty-half-dollar-value.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pictures didn't show up as clearly as I hoped but the shield lines are visible, as are the words Liberty. Here hair details are visible and so is her ear and the spear/cap details. The eagle on the obverse is in great shape with all feathers visible, including the arrow feathers

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pictures didn't show up as clearly as I hoped but the shield lines are visible, as are the words Liberty. Here hair details are visible and so is her ear and the spear/cap details. The eagle on the obverse is in great shape with all feathers visible, including the arrow feathers

If you click the pic again once its open it gets bigger. I can see it very well! & I'm not sure if it would rate a high EF or a low AU? Could go either way depending on who grades it.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom portion of the obverse where it says HALF DOLLAR the lower part of the letters look like they have funny wear or else it's just a bad or worn dye. Or am I seeing things? Otherwise only the absolute highest points of the coin show only minor wear such as on the highest tips of her hair.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wear you speak of is just a optical illusion from the iPad camera and the angle I took it at. The letters are in good shape with no odd wear or misstriking to them

I guessed it was around VF but without the coin book I can't go over the different levels of detail required for each.

I would be very happy if it was BU or AU

Would it be worth getting graded by a coin grading service?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wear you speak of is just a optical illusion from the iPad camera and the angle I took it at. The letters are in good shape with no odd wear or misstriking to them

I guessed it was around VF but without the coin book I can't go over the different levels of detail required for each.

I would be very happy if it was BU or AU

Would it be worth getting graded by a coin grading service?

It's NOT BU which = brilliant uncirculated, it's not even close to BU! AU is even a big maybe depending on what company grades it. Like I said maybe a lower AU grade like around an AU50 because there is wear just very little but it has some thus it can't be even uncirculated let alone brilliant uncirculated which would be a coin with NO wear & lots of original luster & sheen without that dark toning yours has.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty nice looking coin I really like those I had a 1875 Carson City and I sold it I kind a wish now I Kept it! But I did keep two others that were nicer condition in the Carson City one.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you take a magnet and check it? Looks real, but I get nervous with some coins. Nice find! HH

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you take a magnet and check it? Looks real, but I get nervous with some coins. Nice find! HH

Or just weigh it! Just cause it's not magnetic doesn't make it real! But it's real I can tell from the pix! I have no doubt!

Should weigh 12.44 grams (192 grains)

Last edited:

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, lots of Chinese fakes out there. A magnet is a good idea. How much did you get it for?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A magnet is no more good for accurately checking coins than it is for checking if gold is real or not. the one thing fakes don't pull of is weight unless the dimensions are off which should be really noticeable if they were. many fakes are not magnetic cause that makes them too easy to spot. The best fakes are 99% of the time non magnetic stainless steel.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't have a magnet or scale with me, I'm on vacation, but I don't doubt it authenticity. The coin was part of a collection from the woman's great grandfather who stopped collecting coins when he died in the 40s. I'll look through some more later this week and see what there is

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I can't say about the value, but I'd like to applaud those very sharp, well color-balanced, fast loading photos.:thumbsup:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id fell safe to say yours falls into these areas so it was a darn good buy!
Picture 28.png Picture 30.png Picture 32.png

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say about the value, but I'd like to applaud those very sharp, well color-balanced, fast loading photos.:thumbsup:

Thanks

That is one of the reasons I picked up an iPad I can do everything all in one sitting

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very nice coin for a great price. I do, however, believe it may have been cleaned or if it goes for grading will get an "Improperly Cleaned" details grade due to the hairlines on the back. Cleaning and hairlines majorly effect value. You can see these hairlines circled in the picture below image-2745828164.jpg

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the coin was ever cleaned but that doesn't rule out the possibility of it ever happening. I did some looking to see what hairlines are and I'm sure every old coin will have them, some more then others, but these will be hidden in the toning. Thanks for the input and the education.

Would anybody be willing to post a picture from their current red book price guide the key to placing a approx condition on the coin. The coin has plenty of the finer features present on the hair, robe and feathers but I wanted to sit down and see what else is there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions