Old Coin Spill! 1914 Barber Quarter, 1935 Merc and 8 Toasted Wheaties!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my first old coin spill today! I found a total of 10 pre-1959 coins in a five foot square area. They were in the woods, right off of a walking trail.

My first coin was the best, a 1914 Barber quarter! This is my first silver quarter find in two years of detecting. Never even found a silver Washington before today. It was only 4 inches down and in really wet soil. It's pretty worn, but at least the date is sharp.

The second find was a 1935 Merc. It was only about two feet away from the Barber. It was 3 inches down and really grungy out of the ground. It cleaned up fairly well, though. The best thing about these two coins is that I didn't hit either one with my digger! Very lucky.

I also found 8 really toasted wheaties in the same area. No idea on the dates right now. I'm soaking them in warm hydrogen peroxide, so I'll post an update if I can read any of the dates later on.

Here's a few pics:

1914 barber quarter.JPG 1914 barber quarter back.JPG 1935 merc.JPG 1935 merc back.JPG silver spill.JPG silver spill back.JPG

Upvote 6

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome barber quarter, that had to be exciting to keep getting hits and pulling old coins. Congrats

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always wonder if folks who lost their change back in the day were like.." oh man.... I lost my change"

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice spill indeed - how exciting to see Silvers (plural ) and a bunch of wheaties - I'm guessing the wheat cents will be 20's -30's .

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great replies! Here's an update on the toasted wheaties. Very tough to see, but the dates are 1918, 1929, 1941(2), 1948, 192? (maybe 1928) and two no dates. Not a bad spill, even if they are toasted.

wheatie spill.JPG

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that silver:love10:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great spill !! :metaldetector::occasion14: hope to get an old one like that someday :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread