Old Coinmaster 6000/D Series 2

D

Deleted member 103125

Other than the cheapie detector I bought at a thrift store for $5.00, did I do OK if I picked up a WHITE Coinmaster 6000/D series 2 for $50.00. I had to clean lots of corrosion where the batteries leaked, replace a broken m 12 vDC power lead and clean up the power leads on the 9 vDC which were shorted out. But, it turns on now and seems to be working.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Good machine! Hope it works well for you.

My first detector was some no name, it barely found any metal at two inches, and I paid $2.for it at a flea market.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those machines should still find a lot. I had one once and loved it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
that's circa 1980- 81-ish. Quite dated, but awesome for its era. The only difference from the series I , as I recall, was that it had a depth indicator (calibrated to coin-size objects). Requires a very fast swing, to get depth, in the motion disc. mode. Would be ok if you had a place prolific with targets. But is not going to be competitive in a duel against today's top machines depth-wise, or target-separation-wise.

It was a good wet salt beach machine for its era too.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
It was in '82 I think, maybe late '81. I went to a competitive hunt in Southeast Michigan with my Garrett DeepseekerADS III and had my first introduction to the Whites Coinmaster. Absolutely got my butt completely kicked and I was pretty darned proficient with that Garrett. All the placing prizes were taken by the Whites, and them guys were swinging them beasts like crazy. I was so impressed I bought one. Dang that wore me out! I hip mounted mine and still couldn't keep up the swinging pace for very long. I tried, and eventually went back to swinging the Garrett - later gave the Whites away to a family member since I felt I couldn't use it. And I wasn't in bad shape back then. I guess I should have slowly worked my way into it getting those specific muscles in shape. Back then the Whites Coinmasters ruled.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think for $50 you should have got one in working order. I hope you repaired it with little or no expense. It will certainly do better than your $5 detector that has a max depth of 4.5 inches on a quarter.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It was in '82 I think, maybe late '81. I went to a competitive hunt in Southeast Michigan with my Garrett DeepseekerADS III and had my first introduction to the Whites Coinmaster. Absolutely got my butt completely kicked and I was pretty darned proficient with that Garrett. All the placing prizes were taken by the Whites, and them guys were swinging them beasts like crazy. I was so impressed I bought one. Dang that wore me out! I hip mounted mine and still couldn't keep up the swinging pace for very long. I tried, and eventually went back to swinging the Garrett - later gave the Whites away to a family member since I felt I couldn't use it. And I wasn't in bad shape back then. I guess I should have slowly worked my way into it getting those specific muscles in shape. Back then the Whites Coinmasters ruled.

Ha, what a trip down memory lane. I too had a Garret ADS II (those were Garrett's answer to the 6000s) . And yes, the Whites 6000 guys kicked my b*tt too. Better/deeper in the turf. Better/deeper on the wet salt beach, etc...

And while it seems foolish now to pass low conductors (you "might miss a ring") in the junky parks, yet .... when silver was going for 15x to 20x face, it made sense to look for common silver. Minimum wage back then, for those years just getting out of high school , was on $3.10 p/h. So sometimes it seemed wise just to detect. But alas, silver fell back down, and those days quickly came to an end :)

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 6000 was my first 'serious' machine. As the others said, swing it like you mean it.
I would add that you need to pay attention to your soil too as it needs some constant TLC on ground balancing if you hunt in an area where the soil mineralology or texture changes a lot.
You dun good.

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
I have the chance to get one at 80...should I take it? The only other detector I've owned was a Tesoro compadre...is this a step up from that?

Specifically, does it give different sounds/tones for different metal types? Or is that just a feature of newer models?

Any feedback is well appreciated!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than the cheapie detector I bought at a thrift store for $5.00, did I do OK if I picked up a WHITE Coinmaster 6000/D series 2 for $50.00. I had to clean lots of corrosion where the batteries leaked, replace a broken m 12 vDC power lead and clean up the power leads on the 9 vDC which were shorted out. But, it turns on now and seems to be working.

the D series 2 was an awesome detector, had one for 20'ish+ years.
even though just 1 tone, I got so used to it I could hear when
a coin was under the coil (Roundness). & Very Deep.
Even today with my Explorer SE there are a few Spots I Cleaned out with the Coinmaster to the point I'm not finding missed coins or relics.

Could also Detect under Metal Bleachers & nearer to Fences then I Can with
all My
other detectors. Sold mine for $100.00 in the early 21st Century :(

Last edited:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my favorite machine whites 6000d series 2 hip mount , found more with it than any other detector i ever had .of course i was alot younger and swung it 30/40 hours a week but it was very deep and easy to use compaired to today's machines . it was very expensive at about $600 back in the early 80's....I wish i never sold it...

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a 5000D in '81 I think. I still have it. I'll bet it still works. I'll have to get it out and try it. It needs to be hung on the wall of the man cave or sold. Silver coins were the thing back then and I found my share. Gary

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother used one up until his death about three weeks ago. He had the chance to use newer machines but he knew the 6000 and stuck with it. I have it now and am planning to take it on my next hunt because he always wanted to hunt down here with me.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep it low to the ground
Throw some change on the ground, and try and pay attention to how its reacting(needle bouncing. Tone pitch,etc) i know its not the proper way to learn to hunt, but it will better help to get a quicker feel of what your in for. I have the same machine,gave to me in the same condition. It took alot of delicate time and cleaning, but i can use it for a back up now.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the chance to get one at 80...should I take it? The only other detector I've owned was a Tesoro compadre...is this a step up from that?

Specifically, does it give different sounds/tones for different metal types? Or is that just a feature of newer models?

Any feedback is well appreciated!

My hunting buddy has a Compadre in addition to other machines. I've been on hunts with him where he's kicked my butt swinging that "beast"

As for "different sounds on different metals" - No. One tone, but not really when dealing with the nuances in the ground. Solid tone in two directions means a dig. Just because it is One Tone - realistically that's not completely true at all times. Say a coin is tilted in the ground, the signal might be "elongated" in one direction. It really just means you gotta dig it to see it. I remember digging a WL half which gave a solid signal in one direction, and in the other it was a "longer" signal. Dug it and it was on an angle in the ground - just gotta dig it to see what it is.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep ! I Dug Everything with Mine.

But If I thought it "Might be a Coin", or "Pretty sure" Before I Dug, It usually Wasn't. :(

However If My Mind said "That's a Coin, No doubt" it was a coin almost always.
If it wasn't It was a Token Or other Round object that Explained why I Was convinced it was. There was a "Tell" that you could Learn with Time.

I Remember my first Large cent. It was a Whisper.
Normally I Did Ignore what could have been Ground anomalies.
I Dug & Dug, Deeper then My Scoop at the Time.
I Had to be down 10/12 Inches (No probes Back Then to help)
so I Almost Gave up on the Signal being My imagination, & I May be Exaggerating
how deep, Simply by Time & Depth & Not Measuring. But I Do remember My Fist was in the Hole, with the Scoop.
But another Scoop or 3 & A round Object Popped out.
Because it was My First Took me a Few Seconds to Realize what it Was.
Turned out to be an 1812.

That was the Point The detector Really Impressed me.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread