Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firstly, I don't have an AT Pro but, the depth, composition of the soil matrix,
the angle of your target and/or the proximity of other metals to your target
are all factors you need to consider. . . with ANY detector.

If you're confident that your hunting site is old enough for the coinage you mentioned,
the simplest rule-of-thumb is to just DIG the . . . otherwise you'll never know.

The above being said, you could also borrow an IH & LC from someone you know. . . or a coin shop
and see what readings you get.

HH!

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to focus on VDI, but after many hunts, I've experienced that so many things can affect it. Anything below 80 I just listen for consistent sounds that aren't drastically affected by turning iron audio on.

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Eagle Spectrum, Garrett Master Hunter, Master Hunter II & CXIII. Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the depth, composition of the soil matrix,
the angle of your target and/or the proximity of other metals to your target
are all factors you need to consider. . . with ANY detector.

HH!
I needed to hear this too, thanks!

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0870.JPG I have been detecting in the same spot for two weeks with a Minelab Safari. I found two IH and some silver Dimes. I checked out the readings and the audio, depth and still Im not comfortable. I feel if I don't dig I will miss something. I went back and found other coins in the same spots that I already dug or close to them. I am a new kid on the block, but I am getting more comfortable with identifying my targets, I feel that I still have to dig if I get a reading in the 30s. I pulled more rusty nails then anything else. I figured I will invest in a better digging tool (The Shark) shovel until I can better read my MD.I will keep on digging. The numbers don't always tell the whole story, even in the same spot.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread