Old Copper ( Cleanning Advice )

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I just found my first old copper coin when I was detecting a travel way used by the indians and revoluntionary troops. I was happy to see that I didn't scratch it will digging it up but I was sad to see that it was very worn when I ran some water over it. I can see enough lettering to ID it when held at the right angle but the lettering is still not very clear. One time a letter will look like a T and the next time it will look like something else. The only cleanning Ive done is a soak in hot peroxide. Ive been tempted to use a soft tooth brush but Im afraid it might make it totally unidentifiable. This coin because of condition issues will never be worth anything but it would really make my day if I could aleast ID it. Is there any other cleanning solutions that I could use that might help? I will post a pic of it and its measurements tomorrow. It appears to be a bit smaller than a large cent and very thin..........I just noticed that there is a whole catagory ( Cleanning and Preservation ) that should help me out. I will still post pic of coin tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions