Old Copper Culture Spearhead in pristine condition.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Believe it or not this is the first thing I have ever found with my new Detector. Ten Minutes into my first outing I dug this up. I found this on a very old grown over riverbed on a remote lake in Northwestern Ontario Canada. The Curator of the local museum said it is from the Archaic period around 3000BC and that the Point is in pristine condition. IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1365.JPG

Upvote 0

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a beauty. You are very lucky to be able to rescue such a piece from being lost for ever. Thanks for sharing. Make sure you don't clean it ... looks great !!!!

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
It's a nice piece, I don't think I would go so far as to say pristine but... none the less. It's slightly unusual in that the upper portion of the tang appears to have a couple of small notches, I've seen this type before but it's not real common. The Archaic period started about 8,000 BC and ended about 1,000 BC but copper was used just prior to the Archaic all the way through to the time of contact with the Middle Archaic being the hay day so to speak around 5,000 years ago. This artifact could date anywhere in that time span as there are no known carbon dates associated with this particular style.

OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been able to find anything similar to the notched base like it on-line. Do you have any pictures you can post of this style? I did not clean it in any way and will not clean it in any way. I didn't even rinse it off in the lake. Lucky me for knowing at least that much LOL. I tell you it's torture not to rinse it off or wash it.

esox

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2008
Northern Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Yes. Very rare type. Have saw thousands of copper points. Never a ratail with side notches. Very very nice. But not exactly pristine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions