Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This came from a garage sale last weekend. The cowboy looks somewhat familiar--maybe this is someone famous? I looked at old pictures of Tom Mix, and I don't think its him--he wore bigger cowboy hats ;D .
And has anyone heard of the "Griggs Studio" that's on the front of the photo? Was this a famous studio?
Photo is 8"x10" and is in poor condition along the edges--but still neat and was in a pile of stuff that cost $1!!!
The pile of stuff included a saddle(I kid you not :o !) and an Osage County Profiles book(this book is worth at least $100+). So we didn't get hurt on the price of the pile of stuff! :wink:
See if any of y'all recognize this old cowboy and thanks for any help! I scanned the photo and my daughter used some photo software to "clean" it up a little.

Attachments

• Vintage Cowboy Photo2 (650x503).jpg
    Vintage Cowboy Photo2 (650x503).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 709
  • Vintage Cowboy Photo (650x528).jpg
    Vintage Cowboy Photo (650x528).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 730
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beans said:
I did a google search and found a Griggs Studio in or was in Bartlesville, also website for National Cowboy Muesum. A good place to start your research.

http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org...hurShoemakerCollection/tabid/439/Default.aspx
That would make sense--This photo came from a garage sale in Bartlesville. I did a google search too and couldn't find that studio--I must've done something wrong! Thanks Beans :hello: ! That link will help me get started on figuring out who it is!!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
That would make sense--This photo came from a garage sale in Bartlesville. I did a google search too and couldn't find that studio
I guess you live near Bartlesville? Go to the library and look in old newspapers or microfilm. I am sure the studio would have advertised in the paper. It won't help ID the cowboy tho. :(

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
sandcreek4 said:
That would make sense--This photo came from a garage sale in Bartlesville. I did a google search too and couldn't find that studio
I guess you live near Bartlesville? Go to the library and look in old newspapers or microfilm. I am sure the studio would have advertised in the paper. It won't help ID the cowboy tho. :(
I live about 45 miles from Bartlesville, so I don't get to the library over there much. But my sister has a friend who knows a lot about the history of Bartlesville and I think we'll ask her the next time she's in at my sister's junk shop. I think this picture was probably taken at the Dewey Fairgrounds.......Dewey is a town north of Bartlesville(kinda a suburb of B'ville) and they used to have big rodeos/ropings there in the early to mid 1900's. This looks like a photo from the 1940's maybe, because of the Pee Wee cowboy boots the guy is wearing--those kind of boots were popular during the 40's/50's era I think.
And with the photo being numbered, it might have a record somewhere :dontknow: .
Thanks cyberdan :hello: .

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just a guess, but I would contend it is older than the 1940s. I gauge this from the bowtie and the cowboy's clothing. I could be wrong. It looks more along the line of the Great Depression Era-but folks that aged in that era tended to keep everything. Very nice pic and an item that many folks in the south/southwest would love to have hanging on their wall.

Just my two cents,

apush :read2: (from Texas)

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apush said:
This is just a guess, but I would contend it is older than the 1940s. I gauge this from the bowtie and the cowboy's clothing. I could be wrong. It looks more along the line of the Great Depression Era-but folks that aged in that era tended to keep everything. Very nice pic and an item that many folks in the south/southwest would love to have hanging on their wall.

Just my two cents,

apush :read2: (from Texas)
You could be right, apush.....It might be earlier than the 40's. I was just guessing (the age)from the style of boots and wasn't paying attention to the clothing as well. Thanks for the help!

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a young fdr to me. Fdr the one time us president. He was known to ride and shoot

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just showed the pic to my elderly mother without telling her my thoughts and she immediately said that it looks like FDR. I would be willing to bet it is him

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True_Metal said:
Looks like a young fdr to me. Fdr the one time us president. He was known to ride and shoot
True_Metal said:
I just showed the pic to my elderly mother without telling her my thoughts and she immediately said that it looks like FDR. I would be willing to bet it is him
I think this is a local yokel, True Metal, but he does kinda look like FDR.....I am still waiting to hear from the woman that does a lot of Bartlesville/Dewey Okla. history research. She should be able to find out who it is for us. I don't know if FDR ever came to the Bartlesville/Dewey area? And I'm pretty sure this was a local(Bartlesville) photographer who took the pic.
Thanks for the help! :hello: I'll try to find some old pictures of FDR to compare this to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions