Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Old cross/found in spanish area

There are many versions of these but here you go.

The cross of Caravaca is a double-cross-barred crucifx on which the figure of Jesus is flanked by two winged angels who kneel in postures of prayer. The arms of the saviour are nailed to the upper cross-bar, and the supplementary cross-bar projects widely to the sides. The original of this cross appeared miraculously in the Spanish town of Caravaca during the 14th century. It is said to contain a fragment of the True Cross upon which Jesus was crucified. Caravaca is known to archaeologists as the site of one of the oldest settlements in Spain, to occultists as a former stronghold of the mysterious Knights Templar, and to historians as a military fortress occupied during the struggle to oust the Moors and re-establish Christiantity in Spain.

In Mexico, the cross of Caravaca has been a popular religious amulet since colonial times. Some say that a copy of the original was the first Christian cross brought to Mexico, others tell me that the copy was brought to Mexico by Fr. Junipero Serra and carried by him as he travelled through Mexico and California. In either case, the cross of Caravaca is a major element in Mexican and Mexican-American religious folklore, where it is widely believed to have special powers to grant wishes and prayers.

The use of the cross of Caravaca for wish-fulfillment dates back at least to the the early 19th century. Documentation of a novena to San Roque, protector from fevers and epidemic diseases, notes that the pamphlet, published in Zacatecas, Mexico, in 1833, was illustrated with an image of this cross. (Full details can be found online under the title Diseases, Novenas, and Patron Saints in Nineteenth Century Zacatecas, by Alicia Bazarte Martinez, Instituto Politecnico Nacional.)

The cross of Caravaca commonly appears on the Mexican house and business charm known as El Secreto de la Virtuosa Herradura, where it is represented by a piece of gold-toned embossed paper pasted to a red cross-shaped paper, in turn pasted to a wooden cross positioned within an actual, used horseshoe which has been wrapped in red thread. The specific wish this amulet grants is financial success.

Stripped of its Catholic connotations, this same cross of Caravaca is often found in African-American hoodoo supply stores under the name "Wishing Cross." It is carried to ensure that a wish comes true, and is sometimes used in connection with herbal wish-fulmillment charms such as mojo wishing beans and Job's tears seeds.

The cross of Caravaca amulet shown here is made of gold-washed pot-metal and is 1" long, the size of a typical Mexian milagro. It is a variant of the original in that the upper cross-bar is embossed with the word "Caravaca," displacing the arms of Jesus to the lower cross-bar. This casting can also be found in the belly of the translucent plastic Mexican Buddha Preganant with a Cross, where it is accompanied by grains of rice and toxic abrus precatorius seeds. Similar cross of Caravaca charms from Mexico come in two sizes, 1" and 3" -- and on the larger one can be seen the embossed word "Caravaca" as well as images of the Virgin Mary and Archangel Michael with his upraised sword.

Attachments

• caravaca cross.jpg
    caravaca cross.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 808
  • caravaca cross2.jpg
    caravaca cross2.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 991
  • caravaca cross3.jpg
    caravaca cross3.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,245
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Dachief you Daman,You got it fast too...I found it in florida.I also went looking on line and found this one dug in st.augustine .I guess it could be 1700s,the one dug is 1650 on fl. artifacts web page .Thanks again,relic

Attachments

• 22_sm.jpg
    22_sm.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 955
Upvote 0

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good deal for you. That is a nice relic. Glad I could help. Not the sharpest tack in the box but I am getting better and finding things.

Upvote 0

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004

Nice find relicdude!! What are the age of most of the other items
you find at this site?

T.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

I like that :wink: ,1600s.I did find that 1658 cob close by ,so i guess it could be :thumbsup: A pic of the back.

Attachments

• Picture 204.jpg
    Picture 204.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 688
Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

do you know what metal it is made out of?

from what i have things made out of gold back in that time look about that color.

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

careful who you take it to, not sure where you are located and what the treasure laws are, but hopefully its not in Texas

Upvote 0

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax

:thumbsup: now thats a great relic!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Matejko

Jul 18, 2005
Warsaw-Poland
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V

RELCDUDE07 said:
I put the silver ring at the top so i could keep up with it and not loose it
Take off the "silver ring" of Your's. It looks like shhhhiiiittttt , on top of such a find !!!!!!!!!

This cross is called Caravaca, as DaChief wrote - It's quiet rare find.
I've found only two of them, MDing since 2005.
Shortly speaking - great find. CONGRATS !!!! :thumbsup:

Instead a "ring ment to not loose", get yourself a big solid board for Your collection. As I did.... ;D
And keep going with collection - You've got a good start "at hand" .... :icon_sunny:

Pozdrawiam Matejko
beer2.gif

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

I know the silver ring looks like shiiit,but i took it around to show a few friends and didnt want to loose it.Its home and in a case now,with some old spanish stuff ;D Its not gold,its brass/bronze........

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

spanish missonary personnel carried bronze / brass crosses to give to the indains upon convertion to the catholic faith -- many of the common poor folks also wore them that could not afford silver or gold ones . the orthodox catholics also used a form of daul cross bar cross but it was a bit differant than the roman catholic one --- modern roman catholic cross have only 1 bar while orthodox (greek / russian) has two often

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Thats what i was thinkin ivan a gift from spanish to the indians.....Its one of the best relics i have found...a banner in my collection :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread