Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gang,
For those who didn't know, the original Desert Magazine offices are still around and yes you can go in. But it will most likely cost you a TON !!!! You see, the old offices are now LG's Steakhouse located at 74-225 Hwy 111 ( Palm Desert- near Palm Springs ), I was able to stop by and take a few pixs... Here's a old foto and some new foto's.....

Enjoy
PLL

The Building of a Empire...

desmagblding015.jpg

The Desert Magazine Building
(74-221-74-225 Hwy 111) The first commercial structure completed on the south side of Hwy 111 in Palm Desert. At its official opening in October 1948, it housed the printing and publishing offices of “Desert Magazine” as well as Desert Printers. A gem shop and a bookstore were located inside near the entrance. Occupying 17,000 square feet, the imposing structure served not only as headquarters of the prestigious “Desert Magazine” but for other national publications and the first local newspaper. Because of heavy delivery to and from “Desert Magazine”, the federal government authorized a post office for Palm Desert.

The Southwest Art Gallery
Also located in the Desert Magazine Building. It was a place for local artists to display their works. Art shows were regularly held, making it a center for social gatherings by the early residents.

Shadow Mountain Pool and Club
Cliff Henderson’s first development was “Shadow Mountain Club” shown, to the right, under construction in 1947. Shadow Mountain boasted a 3 million gallon figure 8 swimming pool, polo fields, a clubhouse, and private lake. It was designed to be a “destination” for those seeking a reprieve from their regular life and its grand opening was December 10, 1948. The rich and famous, as well as the ordinary citizen flocked to Shadow Mountain Resort and launched the growth of Palm Desert as a city.

The Empire Today

desmagblding 011A.jpg

desmagblding 010A.jpg

desmagblding 005A.jpg

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang,
On Tuesday I was very, very, very lucky..... I found out that Randal Hendersons' daughter ( her name is Yvonne and she's 95 ) was still alive and was able to get a meeting with her. We talked for about a hour, and she even autographed my first issue of Desert Magazine ( 11/37 ) !!!! For those who don't know, it was Randall Henederson who founded Desert Magazine...This was too cool !!!!!

PLL

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Thanks for the post, Pegleg. My family visited there many times in the early to mid 50s. My folks were Rockhounds back then and we spent all of our free time out in the deserts of CA, AZ, NM and NV. Congrats on the First Issue and getting the founders daughter to sign it for you. That's a keeper for sure!

Happy Hunting

Desertfox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions