old detector (s) question..

crusty metal

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new here so oppoligize if in wrong section: I have a garrett gti 1500 to re-new my interest in detecting, but I've always loved 'old' in everything. But in detectors that I'm sure isn't to my advantage. anyway..I got 2 old Garrett detectors off * bay but so far only one has came. I reasearched on net and is bit confusing, It is a Garrett 'coin hunter' VLF deep seeking co-axial. I wanted a manual but everything I found says VLF/TR for coin hunters..or BFO. Nothing just said VLF? it has a vlf dial and a disc dial..then the 2 bigger dials (tuning and volume) and a button on the thumb of the hand grip. Other detector coming looks very simular but I think is TR..waiting to see. I know these are obsolete but can I expect anything useful out of them? (good one for grandson I think) is the thick co-axel pinpoint a good coil?- Thanks- Gene

Skwerly

Jan 24, 2013
Yucaipa, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't see why that old Garrett wouldn't do everything you need, and then some. Old doesn't always mean obsolete. I'm no pro at MD makes and models, but I Googled your Coin Hunter and it seems like a cool machine. :)

OP
OP
C

crusty metal

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys..as you probably can tell I'm not a 'serious' hunter but more for the enjoyment so hoping these machines will do. Thanks on the link on manual!..I was looking for one on the 'coin hunter' and none of them said 'coin hunter-VLF'..but rather VLF/TR ..nothing on my detector says TR. I'll go ahead and see if the manual is out there for it with the VLF/TR..it must be very close. Thanks again folks

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Crusty, TR stands for transmit/Receive. Most detectors are of this type they transmit and receive constantly. The BFO" beat frequency oscillator" Is different in function and obsolete. There is also a PI "pulse induction" unit which also transmits and receives, but consecutively, not at the same time. The PI is not generally called a TR detector. Hope this helps, Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

crusty metal

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Frank..it does make sense. I got a whole lot to learn I can see that. for now I'm just gathering stuff and preparing for summer. I'm retired and work on my own so I'll have plenty of time to practice and learn.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the discretion band is probably not wide enough and you will probably lose targets if you discriminate....

OP
OP
C

crusty metal

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks liftloop..what about the 'VLF'..the one detector seems to have that in large letters..what is that mean? I'll study up on it before summer but is that a 'plus' or just common on all older detectors? I figure I'll be digging most everything with a decent tone. Gene

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
VLF stands for Very Low Frequency. It referres to the operating frequency band of the detector. Most modern detectors of general purpose use this band. Frank

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Last edited:

mini-moose

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2005
Eastern Pa.
My Father and brother both have Garrett GTA1000 ultras. They both still work flawlessly. Great older models. I never knock the older models. My brother walks away with a lot of nice finds!

fast43

Jul 20, 2012
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ/7a
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Fisher CZ-7a for $50 bucks at a yard sale last summer. I hadn't detected since the 70's and this got me back into the hobby. I'm more than happy with my detector. I've found coins about 8" deep and I'm just starting to figure the detector out. I've found coins in places that were hunted out and I've found a few nice rings. A lot of it is just finding the right place to hunt.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusty you have Coin Hunter VLF/TR Deep Seeking Series 5 kilohertz model from the 1978 period. This is exactly the same as the Master Hunter model but was only supplied with one coil. Its sounds like you have the optional 8" co-axial Deep Seeker coil fitted. The standard coil was a 7.5" Co-Planar.

The advantage of the coil you have is that it will go deeper on coins and relics than the stock coil and deals with E.M.I. better. Discrimination is not as good as the 15 kHz Groundhog that was sold alongside your model but depth is better and no problem with 60 cycle interference.

I liked the Garretts of this time but the drawback is that unlike modern motion machines you can't run the VLF ground exclude mode (its the deepest) and discrimination at the same time. On land thats not terrible contaminated you would detect in the VLF all metal mode then switch to TR to discriminate. Top of beach/dry sand you can operate in TR discrimination all the time if there's lots of modern rubbish to save on mode switching. VLF will still give more depth though.
On wet sand TR discrimination will work best as you can use the discrimination knob to in effect ground balance out the salt water effect (around the foil reject postion).

At times you can pick up other coils, 7.5", 10.5" and 14" quite cheaply. Big means heavy though. The advantage of the Twin Circuit 7.5" and 10.5" coils is that you have a degree of discrimination in the deep VLF all metal primary search mode based on the width of the audio (Non-ferrous narrow. Ferrous, bottlecaps etc wider than the width of the coil).

Best of luck Brian

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusty you have Coin Hunter VLF/TR Deep Seeking Series 5 kilohertz model from the 1978 period. This is exactly the same as the Master Hunter model but was only supplied with one coil. Its sounds like you have the optional 8" co-axial Deep Seeker coil fitted. The standard coil was a 7.5" Co-Planar.

The advantage of the coil you have is that it will go deeper on coins and relics than the stock coil and deals with E.M.I. better. Discrimination is not as good as the 15 kHz Groundhog that was sold alongside your model but depth is better and no problem with 60 cycle interference.

I liked the Garretts of this time but the drawback is that unlike modern motion machines you can't run the VLF ground exclude mode (its the deepest) and discrimination at the same time. On land thats not terrible contaminated you would detect in the VLF all metal mode then switch to TR to discriminate. Top of beach/dry sand you can operate in TR discrimination all the time if there's lots of modern rubbish to save on mode switching. VLF will still give more depth though.
On wet sand TR discrimination will work best as you can use the discrimination knob to in effect ground balance out the salt water effect (around the foil reject postion).

At times you can pick up other coils, 7.5", 10.5" and 14" quite cheaply. Big means heavy though. The advantage of the Twin Circuit 7.5" and 10.5" coils is that you have a degree of discrimination in the deep VLF all metal primary search mode based on the width of the audio (Non-ferrous narrow. Ferrous, bottlecaps etc wider than the width of the coil).

Best of luck Brian
:hello2: Nice to see you back Brian.

SS

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not for long I've already been told off !

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not for long I've already been told off !
That does not surprise me in the least, there are are less and less posts from Brits here now, than there has ever been since I joined in 2006, got a fealing we are not wanted, I hardly ever post my finds now, before I could'nt wait, but the lack of replies to UK finds posted, does'nt warrant the time.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread