Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm planning on retiring this year so I'm getting all my teeth fixed. Almost done.
During some of my previous trips I have had a few conversations with my Dentist about Metal Detecting. We talked about getting him a permit, different types of metal detectors, coins, and his family property upstate.
Today's visit resulted in my Dentist slipping these 3 coins into my hand. One is an 1800 Draped Bust Silver Dollar and the other two are both 1889s Morgan Dollars. He purchased them off a NYC street hustler. Too bad they stick to my magnet.

IMG_4415.JPG IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4414.JPG IMG_4413.JPG

Upvote 20

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well crap! They look good, make key chain or money clip from them

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does your dentist know they are fake?
As long as he's not using them to fill your teeth.:laughing7:

Nice looking coins, I wouldn't realize they were fake if I found one, that would be really disappointing.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does your dentist know they are fake?
As long as he's not using them to fill your teeth.:laughing7:

Nice looking coins, I wouldn't realize they were fake if I found one, that would be really disappointing.
You know it would be a dirty trick if someone was to bury one of those coins soooo,, his hunting buddy could dig it up,,, heheheheheheh

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great novelty pieces.....I wouldn't refuse them. I saw a steel 1905 Morgan Dollar not long ago. Imagine if that was real (no Morgans made in 1905)? The dealer who owned it showed that it was steel according to a magnet. Someone of ignorance can get seriously short-changed like that.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would melt the silver off of them, at least they have some value.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm planning on retiring this year so I'm getting all my teeth fixed. Almost done.
During some of my previous trips I have had a few conversations with my Dentist about Metal Detecting. We talked about getting him a permit, different types of metal detectors, coins, and his family property upstate.
Today's visit resulted in my Dentist slipping these 3 coins into my hand. One is an 1800 Draped Bust Silver Dollar and the other two are both 1889s Morgan Dollars. He purchased them off a NYC street hustler. Too bad they stick to my magnet.

View attachment 1327012 View attachment 1327011

View attachment 1327013 View attachment 1327014

LOL! Now you have everybody that has bought Silver Dollars checking them with a magnet!!! :laughing7:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bury them about four inches deep at a place you know other people metal detect. Sit back and enjoy the show.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not good, I'll have to carry a magnet with me when I detect with you! Did he melt the real ones down for your fillings? LOL

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All is not lost ATW. At least your still going to get your teeth fixed ! Its a good thing they were not fake Merc dimes or you would probably be going to your cardiologist also ! I know how you love those Mercs. Congrats on your upcoming retirement.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck on your retirement ATW, can't come soon enough I bet. The price was right for those look-a-likes. Have fun with them.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Melt them and make fillings lol

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone's making some slick looking fakes. The draped bust looks bogus but the Morgans look like the real deal.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is funny, because my dentist and I talk about the same stuff. ha I had a failed root canal that ended up needing a implant and crown... so I spent a LOT of time with my dentist a couple years ago! We would talk about detecting, but I also mentioned there were many aspects to our hobby and even mentioned some of the planted treasure hunts like the book "The Secret a Treasure Hunt". He ended up getting the book and working on some of the riddles and puzzles... Its not my thing, but I understand most have yet to be found. Anyway, he ended up getting an AT Pro for him and his son to use. I'll find out how they're doing on my next visit in the fall!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread