Old Dresser I Found

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I have this old dresser I know nothing about. I would love to know what time period it was from, what it is called, and what would be a general value on it. It would be perfect for restoration because of a water mark on top, and where over the years people have opened it. It has dovetail corners, too. Thanks. It measures 45"H X 45"L X 18"W and looks to be made of cherrywood. It is also very heavy.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 100

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The drawer pulls are Hepplewhite in style. As to whether this is a period piece, I can't tell you. Antique furniture is a definite weak spot for me. However, I'm leaning toward an early 1900's reproduction of a Federal period piece, based on the overall look of it. It doesn't have a real quality look to it, plus I would expect locking drawers on an original. If period, it would be worth thousands. Let some others chime in though because I'm just blowing smoke honestly.

By the way, it's good to see you back. No more pignutz though! lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Thanks for your guess. I REALLY don't know nothing about furniture. Thanks again, and good to be back. I don't get out much due to health problems, but great to be back.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't speak much for identifying it. However, being someone who dabbles in wood work, in the one photo of the drawer edge, it appears to have handmade blind dovetails. A better, more complete pic of the sides of the drawer would make my guess better. As far as restoration goes, if you know what you are doing, go for it. However, on antique furniture generally less is more. Doing it wrong can devalue a piece of furniture by as much as half or more. I've made that mistake before and am very conservative when someone wants me to refinish something for them.

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Here are some pics of the dovetail, front inside of drawer, and inside corner. Tacks or small nails are used to keep the back wall on.

Attachments

• MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 102
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 96
  • MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 102

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bare wood exposed near the brass pulls (check with magnet) appears to be Mahogany wood used in veneer furniture of the 20's to early 40's.

I'd use a piece of T-shirt material, make it damp, and use common toothpaste and rub with the length of the top (with the grain) to get the water spot to fade or removed. Then a good coat of "Pledge spray wax" on the top.

I know this sounds weird, but go buy Cordovan liquid shoe polish. But be sure you get "Skuff Coat" shoe polish because of its formula. I'd take off the drawer pulls, pull out the drawers and stand them with the drawer fronts facing up. Clean the drawer fronts with a good house spray cleaner and let dry. Then, use the foam top and apply the scuff coat shoe polish evenly and let dry. The drawer fronts could look darker that the sides and framework, but if it is a distracting difference buy more scuff coat shoe polish. The scuff coat will dry with a sealer finish, but you could spray a satin clear polyurethane over the polish.

Chest of drawers are in demand around these parts of Texas. In fact, bedroom furniture sells faster than the rest of the house furniture....especially in medium to lower income neighborhoods. Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Do you by chance the name of this style? age, and maybe a guess at the value? What if the openers are brass?
Thanks, you have been most helpful. Also, would that mean this piece is made of Mahogany, or mixed? Curious as to call it.

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
It looks like the dovetail is pressed as one piece on the sideboard and back. The dovetails are not separated. As is, what would be your guess, fair value.

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Here are some more pics

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 105
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 98

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, it's made more in the 1940's time. Some of the higher quality pieces were either solid mahogany or plywood mahogany veneer over white oak. Drawer sides, backs, and bottoms were always of a lower quality secondary wood. It isn't a high dollar piece as most of this type came in the recovery after WWII when production of furniture was high as GI's were buying homes and settling down. I'd guess the drawer pulls are brass, but thin....

I'd use good old "Elmer's" white glue squeezed down into the loose dovetails. wipe away the squeeze-out, and clamp overnight.
If I had the piece, here in Texas, and spent a minimal time on it, I'd ask between $75-$85 for it. To make a good impression, after all finishing and polishing was done, I'd either use canning wax or spray pure silicone on the contact and sliding points of the framework and drawers to make the drawers slide easier.

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I recently bought a warehouse full of flea market stuff that had a few pieces of furniture. I got a dresser that is very similar to yours. Unfortunately at some point a peabrain kept plants on it, causing watermarks & a minor crack where 2 of the boards have separated. The tops will need to be refinished but everything else is in like new condition. I believe mine were made between the late 30's to early 50's. In my part of Alabama, with the minor damage to the top I expect the dresser to sell for $40-45. If I sanded down the top, filled the crack & either stained the top to match or painted it a contrasting color it might sell in the $75-90 range.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a old dresser like that for my son,when he was off for college,lady said it was free,but I give her $5 for it,I took it home and cleaned it up and found a hidden drawer , that had allot of X-rated pictures,poloroids ,of her and some other women:dontknow:.Didn't know if I should have taken them back to her or not.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a old dresser like that for my son,when he was off for college,lady said it was free,but I give her $5 for it,I took it home and cleaned it up and found a hidden drawer , that had allot of X-rated pictures,poloroids ,of her and some other women:dontknow:.Didn't know if I should have taken them back to her or not.
Nice. You should have sold them on ebay. lol I would and have!

kafelerampton

Jul 13, 2013
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Detector(s) used
Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this old dresser I know nothing about. I would love to know what time period it was from, what it is called, and what would be a general value on it. It would be perfect for restoration because of a water mark on top, and where over the years people have opened it. It has dovetail corners, too. Thanks. It measures 45"H X 45"L X 18"W and looks to be made of cherrywood. It is also very heavy.

See, as per my knowledge I think its made of cherry wood plus there can be two options like if you want to keep it then you may re-polish it as the pics shows some scratches on it once its done then you may place in your living room also and it will give a decent look to your furniture secondly if you want to sale it then $150 would be the good prize for it :hello2: :hello2:
Lastly, I hope what ever I suggested would help you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread