Old Fairground Finds & Return to the Corn Field

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Old Fairground Finds & Return to the Corn Field

Alright...yesterday I returned to the Fairgrounds that gave up 4 Injuns Last week (1867, 1880, 1889, & 1905).

Finally hit silver yesterday.

I got a 1944 Wheat Penny, an unknown Indian Head, a 1943 Merc Dime that was about 8 inches deep under 2 pull tabs.

Also managed 16 other coins there.

Last week, under the "What is it?" Section, i posted a story about recently getting permission to hunt a corn field that used to have a schoolhouse on it, according to an 1874 Plat Map. An 1954 map of the same area does not show a school. So the area is old, but nothing remains to indicate that anyone was ever there. Just an old corn field. However, I have no other info on the area, so who knows how long the school was even in operation for.

Anyway, last week I went out there for two hours. The corn field is approximately 160 acres, so its quite large. Last week, I found an old flower button. That was pretty much the only old thing I found, but I was hoping it was old. I went home and cleaned it off. The back says "Benedict & Burnham." My research, and with help from other T'Net'ers, showed that the button was made between 1834-1843. Yesssssssssssss.....something old. Perhaps there are some old coins just waiting to be found. Also, with being a plowed field. Each year relics will be brought closer to the surface as others are pushed back down. So each year, there can be finds made that are simply cherry picked.

Anyway, yesterday I stopped back by the field for an hour on my way back from the Fairgrounds. I was probably 100 yards from the road when I got a great signal about 2 inches deep. Since it was shallow, i was thinking it may be something decent. Turned out to be a Civil War Token.

The front is very hard to see (i'm not really cleaning it up much). The front has stars on it and an Indianhead. It's dated 1863. The back says, "Yankee Smith's Saloon. No. 1 Michigan Ave. Detroit.

I thought this was pretty cool. If that is out there, there could easily be a large cent or a seated half...who knows...

Here are the pics. Hopefully I can make it out today for a bit as well.

Deerhunter24

Attachments

• burnham.jpg
    burnham.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 221
  • merctoken.jpg
    merctoken.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 243
  • merctokenback.jpg
    merctokenback.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 261
  • burnham.jpg
    burnham.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 215

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Old Fairground Finds & Return to the Corn Field

nice finds! that token is a great find, congrats! :thumbsup:

DanMI

May 26, 2007

Nice finds, especially that token. I love finding those. WTG. Dan

Great Lakes

Greenie
Apr 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Tesoro Bandido II Umax and Tejon

Hello, Deerhunter nice digs, I found a nearly identical token to yours a couple weeks ago in northern Lapeer County. Looks just like an Indian head except with 13 stars on the face. Also an 1863 from the Peninsular Hotel in Detroit. That token salesman must have been a busy guy.

Keep on Diggin'
Brett

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500

Thanks for the replies. Hey Great Lakes...according to my token book, there are only an estimated 200-499 tokens known to exist. However, its only worth about 10 dollars in good. The token you found should say Wm. Eisenlord on it. Yours is worth about 15 dollars in very good, but it lists the rarity as very scarce, only 20-74 known to exist. That's incredible. What's crazy is that you think it would be worth more than that. Therefore, the demand for Civil War tokens must be very low. However, maybe in the next 20 years, interest will be gained and it will drive up the price of the ones we found. Deerhunter24.

Great Lakes

Greenie
Apr 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Tesoro Bandido II Umax and Tejon

Hello, Deerhunter that's interesting. Yes Wm. Eisenlord was only the proprietor for 3 years from 1862-1865 that's probably one of the reasons it's that scarce. The Peninsular was originally part of the National Hotel when they remodeled it the wooden portion was moved and became the Peninsular which ceased to exist by 1879. Must have been a lot of work to move buildings back then.

Thanks for the info
Brett

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

awesome find on that token

M

michigan michael

I love that token! I love seeing all the different ones. :thumbsup:

oldschool

Jan 25, 2009
muskegon
Detector(s) used
whites DFX

nics token! pound that corn field and your going to be happy you did!

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice merc, and I love CW tokens! Congrats! :thumbsup:

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic finds Deerhunter :thumbsup: really nice score on the CW token and the reverse looks to be in fantastic shape, that looks like what they call a store card and some of them the collector's go nuts over, could be worth quite a bit to a collector but if you're anything like me you probably won't want to sell it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread