EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it about the size of a 3 cent peice or half dime
little bigger between say a dime and the above mentioned?

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Thanks dgaughan and Lucky It's been Quite a thrill.Eddekalb,the coin is about the size of a three cent piece only with the edges cut off because it's octagonal.It's so tiny that I'm surprised I didn't miss it and I probably would have missed it if I had my discriminate turned up and wasn't running full power sensitivity.I haven't got a value just yet because I still haven't pinned down the exact variety of this coin.I'll keep you all posted.Thanks again, Bootstrap

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
SWR said:
Rich in Central PA said:
Some quick info I gathered from your coin: DERI is the maker's mark which is abbreviated for the maker M. DERIBERPE. Your's has 8 stars Obverse, and 2 stars Reverse. There are 4 varieties of of M. Deriberpe's 1853 One Dollar Gold Piece. I've concluded yours is: Number 7900 1853 Stars flank DERI;GOLD BG 518-524. See 2nd picture of coin.................Rich

There are 12 varieties in this particular series. The "BG" number designates which variety it is (IE: BG-515, BG-516, BG-517, etc). Number 7900 covers seven different coins (BG 518 through BG 524)...

This is the best source on the internet for helping identify the coin:

http://www.calgoldcoin.com/

Hope this helps.

Looks like 7901 to me, but I'm not an expert. The calgoldcoin site sounds like the best spot to ID a california coin. Or, just get it graded (I think I would). The services should know exactly what it is.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow cool find. Hopefully the first of many. I found Gold attracts Gold. Keep it rolling :)

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
If I can find a gold coin, anyone can!!

Yours is amazing and I like the looks of it better than mine. A truly outstanding find.

Heartfelt Congrats.

DM

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW very great finds ! i'll dig all the trash if i can just find one of those

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Wowee, what a day! Super sweet coins. Glad your hard work and persistence are paying off. Keep digging!

HH

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Thanks SWR and skrimpy,It is definitly a 7900 but I still haven't determined the bg#,that should help pin down a value.I think I will probably send it in for grading but I really like being able to touch it without the slab so who knows,and yes,I do know that its better for the coin to have it slabbed.Liquigirl,I carry a green river whiskey good luck charm that I found a few years back and I always wear my replica NHSM belt buckle which is a copy of the original I found back in 2003.Call me supersticious but hey if theres a chance that it may help i'll take it.Thanks capefearsman and I hope your right crusader.Digginman,I don't think I saw your gold coin post,I'm going to look for it when I'm finished with this.Thanks Rudy,Weasle and Michiganne,I do believe that persistance and proficiency with your machine is the key and if you strive for both you'll be successful too.I'm 40 years old and I started doing this hobby with my dad when I was 12 so I've definitly put in my time and was feeling like I was due.I guess that day was just my day.Thanks old dog,I was astonished to see that seated,that was a milestone in my detecting career but when I got the gold piece,man I just about came unglued!!HH to all, Bootstrap

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a THers dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ctcfl

Dec 23, 2006
crestview,fl.
Detector(s) used
white's mxt
Can't say it any better than eveybody else has....Great Finds! Sounds like you need to hire a bodyguard to go hunting with you! ( I'm fairly big and very ugly and for hire if I can bring my detector.

Relic_hunter1557

Feb 15, 2007
I have an 1853 gold one dollar just like that but it has the coronet touching the star. By the way, i didn't find it but some one holed it along time ago :'(

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Hi again ,just wanted to thank you all again for your comments.Birdman this was definitely a dream come true for me,a cache is next on my list and who knows if this one came true.... Ctcfl,if you come to Maine and bring your detector I'd be glad to have you along as a bodygaurd,especially if I get my cache,the bigger and uglier the better LOL.Thanks for the kind words silver zues,you keep at it and you'll get yours too!Relic hunter if I were you I'd have that coin repaired by a jeweler you can't hurt it any more than it is,if anything it would increase the value if done properly.Does yours have the DERI on it?Well,gotta get to bed HH, Bootstrap

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
holy moly, where's my detector, I got to get back out there!

Congrats !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions