Old Fart Road Trip Time

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I wither away from old age, I was thinking about trekking out towards the 4 corners to take in some historic sites in a few weeks. All of these are on tribal or government land, so I won't be in the collecting mode when visiting or camping. I'm a life long collector of artifacts and recently have added metal detecting to my list of vices.
I participate in screen and hand digs here in Texas, as it's legal on private land with permissions in place.
Can anyone point me towards the same type of fee digging or searching in Utah, Colorado, or New Mexico ?
I'd appreciate any advise about this.

Lone Star

Upvote 0

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know of any type of fee hunting or digging in New Mexico. Not sure why but I'm thinking our state laws may not allow it. The best bet is to find a good area with some private land and ask permission to search. Most of the time it is a longshot not only obtaining permission but finding a site on private that still has much to offer. The four corners is a neat area. Be sure to spend some time in canyon of the ancients and canyonlands. Canyon de Chelly is also one of my favorites. Careful traveling around the Navajo Nation it is still a Covid hotspot...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread