Old Field Mill Site Finds Were Outdone By My BEST Coinstar Find!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I planned on researching the homesite of my 4th great grandfather, James Job who was a Confederate soldier in Daniel's Brigade of the 53rd NC infantry. I ended up having to spend most of the day helping my grandma because her car was having trouble and since I was in the neighborhood I had to help out. I ended up getting finished with her at 4, so I went digging.

The site I hit was a site that I have done some detecting at before, but had no luck. I was told that it was a "field mill" where a horse or two would walk around in a circle cinched to a central beam that spun a grinding rock. I have seen one flat button and one brass keyhole dug there, and today I got a SMASHED flat button. All I can see on it is "BEST" and the other word is illegible. About the time I got the flat button, my grandmother called me back and asked for another favor, and since she never asks anything of me I went on and called it a day and helped her out. When I got done, I decided to take my lady out to dinner. When we finished we walked next door and got a few things in the grocery store and as always I did an inconspicuous Coinstar scan :laughing7:. There was a coin, and it was a clad dime! I threw it in my pocket and almost moved on until I noticed some things sitting by the tray in the machine. It was a screw and an earing. I grabbed the earing as fast as I could and low and behold it was hallmarked 14k big as you please. I did heel clicks all the way out of the store! This is my best coinstar find as of yet. It turns out the earing is vintage, made by Carla, and weighs in at eight tenths of a gram! That is like picking up $25.00 cash, but better! I told my girlfriend that it is unfortunate because most likely the person that brought their coins in to cash in didn't even have more that $25 in coins. They left their main item of value. People are so careless these days.
flat button mill.jpeg
Flat button at mill site just flipped out of the ground, notice the green residue on the dirt to the right!

IMAG0322-1.jpg
Carla 14k gold earing!
IMAG0323-1.jpg
CARLA 14K
IMAG0324.jpg
only word I can make out is BEST
IMAG0325.jpg

And below shows the gold earing on the coinstar machine, "As dug" lol

Attachments

• eaing.jpeg
    eaing.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
Who would be stupid enough to leave that lol. Nice finds though looks like your lucky day, Iv never had anything above 10k gold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread