Old field = old coins! And my first ever Silver Capped Bust!

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's field time again before the farmers get busy planting so I need to get busy digging! With a couple of new fields in mind and hoping to find the land owners I headed out. First site... car in the drive, no one answers the door. Bummer so a bit further I went....

A mile down the road is another site I've been searching and my first thought was to ask the local farmer (who's fields I already have access to) to ask him if he knows who owns it. He really didn't know BUT... he says to me the field next door to him right there that has the old barn cilo that didn't used to be his, now is, he bought that property. SWEET! So a diggin' I went... windy and cold at 28 degrees, even with the sun there was a bit of a wind chill.
IMG_0115.JPG
I hadn't really looked into this site as of yet because I've already been doing a couple other fields in the area and kept this one on the back burner. I imediately began seeing the pieces of pottery chards, glass and brick all about the place. This is the first new field that I've been into in over 3yrs.... 1st diggable target ~ a flat button! That alone told me that I most likely was on a virgin site :thumbsup: In all I ended up with three flat buttons in 2hrs before I had to get going for dinner (wife called) :tongue3: ~ yes dear, I'm on my way now.
I forgot to snap pics of the buttons tonight after dinner, too excited about the coins I got. Here they are...
After the 1st button I was eager to find a coin but I knew not to jump around or go too fast thru the corn stalks and stubble. Finally a little indian stuck his head out, a very nice condition 1904 Indian Head Cent, neckless and full Liberty and it's tough to see in the pics but the letter "L" stand out quite clear on the lower head dress. Rarely do I get a Indian looking so good.
IMG_0129.JPG IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0136.JPG

Time was flying by and after the 2nd flat button came the bigger signal, a little iffy but definately needed digging to investigate what was just under the surface... and out pops a largy! I think the date is 1816, a decent Matron Head Large Cent :icon_thumleft: But I pretty much lost any possible date on her once I soaked her. She looked much better when she first saw the light today.

IMG_011601.jpg IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0133.JPG IMG_0135.JPG IMG_0137.JPG IMG_0138.JPG

...and then my 3rd button came along. I was liking this pattern, let's see where it takes me next...

My allowed time slot was deminishing quickly so I did what I didn't want to do, hurried up a bit and jumped around for a few swings... then bam!
A little yet strong signal, just below the surface... a diggin' I go again :icon_thumleft: I flipped the plug out and it was in the frozen surface clump. So I broke it up against the ground and seen a thin gray worn out disk sticking out. YES! I GOT REALLY OLD SILVER! I couldn't pluc it out without busting up the clump again then there it was, faintly staring up at me. I could just barely see the bust image but wasn't sure if it was spanish or what yet. I plucked it out and flipped her over and seen for my very first time in my own digs, a silver eagle with some lettering near the edges and a clear 5C near the bottom. My first ever Capped Bust Silver! No date but it's identifiable ~ I'll take it!
IMG_0120.JPG

00202.jpg 00101.jpg IMG_0123.JPG IMG_0122.JPG IMG_0121.JPG
Then the Mrs. called...

Hopefully I can get back there tomorrow. And honey, I won't be home for dinner :wink:

Happy Diggin' Everyone! Thx for having a look at today's digs!

Attachments

• matron 1816.jpg
    matron 1816.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins! Waiting to find a batch that old! Bet there's more there!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capped Bust silver is much harder than Spanish to get. BIG TIME Congrats!

-Buck

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible! :notworthy:
So, did you know anything about the history of that field before digging, or did you just pick a spot and went at it?

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man, that's cool. awesome coins. I wish I had a place like that to hunt

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knew about it for a few years but had not yet pursued the opportunity ~ then the op was there!

OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And for today's update on digging weather:
Today:
Morning sun gives way to thickening clouds. Wet snow developing during the afternoon. Several inches of snow possible by evening. Blustery and cold.
High: 32°
Wind: SE 10-25 mph

...on the good side of things, SPRING! We are now experiencing a full 12hrs and 4 minutes of day light :icon_thumleft:

Sunrise

7:17 AM​

Sunset

7:21 PM​

Last edited:

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great stuff!

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very cool finds. WTG!