Old fort garbage dump

Dec 16, 2011
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's an area near me where an 1870s era fort once stood. I understood from an old timer that a dump exists in proximity to it but he says he doesn't know where ???. Being retired military, I know there are regulations for just everything. Do you have any clues as to the direction or minimum distance away from the fort that a dump was established?

dances for eels

Sep 22, 2011
From the reading I've done, I'd say that it really depended on local conditions. If there was a post surgeon, the location usually fell under part of his duties. The longer a post or fort stayed in one place and the more secure it's location, the more likely that rubbish could be taken farther away. I remember Fort Harker in Oklahoma having a large dump just south of it and another site just north of it. Sometimes these areas were 65 acres in size. Short of researching the exact fort that you are refering to, I'd be inclined to look for lower lying spots or ravines or otherwise marginal land within sight of the main fort. If you know that historically the area endured cholera and other epidemics, old dressings and rags were probably burned there as well. Just to keep your interest up and to give you a single example, here is some reference reading; notice footnote #1.

http://www.narhist.ewu.edu/pnf/articles/s1/ii-1a/excavations/excavations.html

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
taking into account the topography of the area remember that usually "out of sight is out of mind"...as stated earlier look for a gully, sink hole, hillside etc. that was handy to the fort. Get into the area when the sun is at a low angle and look for traces of old wagon roads leading away from the fort. Take pictures and review these later on your computer, you can sometimes pick up on something you missed while walking the area

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure-net, & thanks for your service. :thumbsup:

Fossis.............

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the name of the fort? There might be some old maps somplace to tell you exactly where things were placed. Just a thought.

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Dump site of that age would be alot of fun.
We hunted one down at Camp Clay Banks, a base from the 50's, The part of this base we hunted was Owned by Clay Banks Township. We hunted this site in about 1990, Trust me, It was NOT a Good Time. We were only there about an hour, I could not get back to the Truck Quick enough. So be Careful.

http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/p3md-me/default.asp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread