Old foundations in the woods.

Mobes

Oct 4, 2007
Westmont IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
I am not exactly new to this hobby anymore but I'm defiantly still a beginner at this. I tried hunting a couple of foundations that are out in the middle of the woods now and so far no luck with any coins or cool relics. I am still struggling a bit with this. I know that everyone says dig everything but my question is that when I set my detector to all metals it seems to go off like crazy? Is that just how it is when you first start hunting an old homestead that probably has never had anyone detect it before? I mean there seems to be so much junk between nails, barb wire, and other metal pieces that it's almost overwhelming. Does anyone have any tips on this or is the only tip that's out there (suck it up and dig dig dig and dig some more) I have not given up on this place just yet since I've only been out there 1 time so far. Also if anyone has any ideas on how I can find out info on what the building was and when it stood would be helpful too. Is there any sites that I can go to for this or do I need to go to that county's historical society and see if they have info on those grounds? Thanks in advance for any tips you guys and gals can share.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Not my field really,but from what i read on this site and others there's usually a lot of rubbish strewn about those old foundations of homes past. If this is the case? then you need to be using a small coil to have a chance of finding a target. a bigger coil can mask the target with junk lay near it. Some guys will purposely spend the first few trips finding and clearing up all the junk before they really start looking for goodies. There's always a chance other hunters have been there before you and cleared up too,but if you're finding lots of small iron/metal junk buried fairly deep then probably not,as they would have dug the junk up as well.
Also you're not using the best detector in the world in my opinion,but have no idea of the prizm's capabilities so will stay quiet. :P

As for finding info on the site?
If you live in the area you can always track down and ask the older folks around there.Never know if one of them will come out with.."Oh! you must mean the old O'Bannion place.Burnt down in the winter of '37...terrible thing it was!" etc etc.
Joining a local "Historical Society" is a good way of learning,and for finding other potential sites too!
Failing this?...It's off to the library and digging out the old maps for a day or two!

If you think it's a "virgin" site then there's bound to be stuff around it waiting to be found.A little hard work and patience works wonders sometimes.Keep at it. :thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Mobes, when you hear the admonition "dig everything", people are usually not including iron in that advice. So it should more correctly be said "dig everything above iron". Because otherwise, you're right: you'll go crazy at most sites trying to remove all the paper clips, nails, etc..... You can usually disc. out iron with most detectors reliably, and even see under and around smaller iron (depending on the size nail, size target its trying to mask, type machine you're using, your settings, etc...).

And as far as your chosen site "old foundations in the woods", bear in mind that these type spots are more of a "relic" mindset place, and aren't necessarily going to be big coin producers. Places where coin counts go up, is places where the express purpose of the location, was for coinage changing hands (saloons, stage stops, stores, concessions, etc..) or recreation/camping spots where multiple people came, went, slept, played, etc.... A singular family concern house, on the other hand out in the boonies, might have just a lot of work and hardware stuff, household whatzitzs, etc... as it might have just been a few people, and not the come/go/spend/play/crowds/travellers type of site which makes for better coin hunting.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The people who say use allmetal and dig it all either have never done it, or only have one site so they have to. (looking for another site would be the smarter thing to do)

Just use low Disc., moderate sens., and dig all non iron sounds, or what you think could be a non iron tone being masked by iron. Just like a beach hunter has to deal with modern trash like pulltabs etc., it's no different at old sites, you dig trash, it's just old trash. The general rule is the older the site the higher the the ratio is for keepers to junk, but you will never avoid scrap brass, copper, lead, and pewter fragments, not to mention the iron that will come up even if it's not your intent. To compare to beach hunting again you can be having a terrible day, and out of nowhere that big diamond ring turns up in your scoop... only at an old home site it's a relic or coin. You never expect a great find and I couldn't even begin to list how many hunts I've been on that everything was just normal until one hole changed it all. My best find last year was at a site we hadn't hit in years and didn't even plan to go to, just seen the field was plowed so we stopped. If you keep hunting the old sites good things like that will happen, it's just a numbers game and there's only so long you can be denied something good.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
And as far as your chosen site "old foundations in the woods", bear in mind that these type spots are more of a "relic" mindset place, and aren't necessarily going to be big coin producers. Places where coin counts go up, is places where the express purpose of the location, was for coinage changing hands (saloons, stage stops, stores, concessions, etc..) or recreation/camping spots where multiple people came, went, slept, played, etc.... A singular family concern house, on the other hand out in the boonies, might have just a lot of work and hardware stuff, household whatzitzs, etc... as it might have just been a few people, and not the come/go/spend/play/crowds/travellers type of site which makes for better coin hunting.

All from home sites, it's all I hunt. :thumbsup: (another excuse to post my pic) ;D

Attachments

• 10years1.jpg
    10years1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,057
  • 10years1.jpg
    10years1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 717

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say x out the iron. If its just a foundation you have to wonder what happened to the building. I would guess it burned down so there are nails everywhere.

good luck-

keithtx

Greenie
Mar 26, 2010
Dallas TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trak w/Sunray Probe
Same sort of problem here. Got an E-trac but still have not figured everything out. Maybe 2-3 hrs so far. Have the book recommended but have not gone through it too much yet, nor all the advice that I am sure is available somewhere on this site.

So going out in my yard it is constant signals even in stock "coin mode" which seems to be quite narrow. Getting tons of cut up aluminum cans hit by mowing. This "good" trash produces all sorts of "codes" onscreen. It is hard to dig in Dallas here. Hard dry clay & "soft" white rocks in it (caliche), so it can get pretty frustrated fast!

A couple days ago I broke it out again... again, too many signals constantly. Was getting multiple codes onscreen and seemed like it could be aluminum can scrap again. I dug to check but there were 2 quarters and a penny in the hole! I need to spend more time reading I know! Just quickly overwhelmed when you go out & you get a "good" signal, sometimes 5 readings on one sq. ft.

I had an old Whites Goldmaster growing up. Things have improved a lot since then but it still is not easy to figure out what to dig!

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like the others have said. Don't worry about digging up the iron stuff. But, dig every consistent signal above iron or a broken signal if you think it's a smaller or deeper target. Experience will let you know whether to dig those signals or not. When you get into iron, really shorten your coil swings down to a few inches. Don't try and search right in the middle of the iron patch. Search around the perimeter of it.

I'm a fan of grid searching. So, if it was me I would grid search a few places until I found something like a button, coin, harmonica reed, etc... Anything that would indicated there was activity there. Once I find something I will focus on that area and really work it. It will take several return visits to a site to learn where the activity was and to actually do a thorough search. I primarily hunt on the weekend and have worked the same site for a few months. I have it pretty well hunted out until more brush dies back and I can get to other areas. But, I have learned that it takes a lot of time to hunt a cellar hole site. I have only pulled 4 coins out of there from the 1800's (including an 1808 1/2 reale), a few wheat pennies, and a v nickle. So, they are not big coin producers. But, finding an old coin is worth the hassle for me. Plus I have about 15 buttons from the same site which includes a couple pewters and tombacs. I'd rather dig old stuff. The older it is the more excited I get.

-Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
keithtx said:
Same sort of problem here. Got an E-trac but still have not figured everything out. Maybe 2-3 hrs so far.

It'd take me 2-3 years to figure out one of those. But, I'd love to try someday.
-Swartzie

OP
OP
Mobes

Mobes

Oct 4, 2007
Westmont IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Well thanks for the replies guys. I know my detector is not top of the line and I understand those old foundations may not produce alot of coins but it is still fun finding the old relics that they can produce. Looks like you've pulled alot of cool stuff out of old homesites Iron Patch. I did go and detect my girlfriends yard the other day and got 3 wheaties and my first rosie along with a bunch of normal clad. I plan on going back to the site in the woods and giving it another try hopefully soon.

B

Bev

calisdad said:
I say x out the iron. If its just a foundation you have to wonder what happened to the building. I would guess it burned down so there are nails everywhere.

good luck-

I've ended up doing this very thing with my Ace250. What I've started to do is when I am in the woods and think or know I'm near a foundation, I put it on "all metal" or everything. After a few minutes of nothing I'll start to get hits of iron (usually it's the first signal I get). This lets me know that I'm near the vicinity or the "living area" where people did their thing. I may dig the first few signals but then I "X" out iron so it doesnt go nuts all over the place.
I am so new at this that you have to take my advice with a grain of salt. Iron is cool but after too many hits of un-interesting things it wears me out.
I do have to say that I'm really not finding coins near the foundations like others but I'm working on it. I have enough nails and axe heads now to build a small city though. ;D

keithtx

Greenie
Mar 26, 2010
Dallas TX
Detector(s) used
I wonder how so many axe heads are lost? Are they typically broken or wore out? You would think they were valuable to them back then!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
keithtx, good question about axeheads. I save all I find and clean up, sometimes I make a handle from a hardwood from the shop. I can picture
a guy going further and further away from home to find firewood or lumber,
when he's hacking away the handle breaks. Does he take the head back with
his wood? Not always it seems.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an older axe 2 years ago. Cleaned it up and sharpened it. Great steel. Holds a very sharp edge.

keithtx

Greenie
Mar 26, 2010
Dallas TX
Detector(s) used
LOL, too heavy with the wood and all! Too bad it was not a jar of silver dollars making it go off!

I bought an older "antique" axe and it was quite expensive. Maybe mid-1900's but is supposed to have much better steel which is why I bought it.

Just looked at my axe: A Kelly Perfect True Temper 3-1/2 lb.

Now I looked at E-bay! One just sold 9/6/10 for $52+shipping with no handle! I think I got a good deal then as I don't recall spending that much, & mine has the handle! Looks identical!

Also just looked at closed auctions and even well used. they sell for $25-$30 generally. If you sell them slowly and not flood the market you may be able to make a fair amount of cash to pay for your hobby!

B

Bev

I brought home another axe head the other day and my husband gave me the "look" as if to say, are you going to drag home everything you find?
So if you guys think you can make a buck on them, I'd be glad to send them to you! There are the two so far but he says they are that that old because the hole where the handle attached is too perfect as if machined.

Attachments

• Picture 1854.jpg
    Picture 1854.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 370
  • Picture 1852.jpg
    Picture 1852.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 363

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging up history! Got to love it..........

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
I found an older axe 2 years ago. Cleaned it up and sharpened it. Great steel. Holds a very sharp edge.

It was great steel. Made in the USA (remember that?).

On the other hand, I've got an Estwing, and it is a great tool. Takes down a 6" ash in about 2 minutes flat.

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
Carefull On Those Old Home Foundations I Went Through a Old Log Home Floor And Found My Biggest Catch Of All Time
I Could Not Belive Someone Would Build A Log Home Over Their Treasure's :icon_pirat: With No Way In

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bev said:
I brought home another axe head the other day and my husband gave me the "look" as if to say, are you going to drag home everything you find?
So if you guys think you can make a buck on them, I'd be glad to send them to you! There are the two so far but he says they are that that old because the hole where the handle attached is too perfect as if machined.

Wouldn't be worth the cost to ship. The top type we throw in the woods, something I just did last week. (I was actually looking for a cannon so was not happy to see a broad axe) The bottom I'd probably debate taking it home, but good chance it would be left for the next guy.... and as my digging bud says.... keep the sport alive! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread