old GERMAN ghosttown near Mc Gaheysville

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I read a story about an old German settlement near Mc Gaheysville Va. As the story goes, the people were not liked by a larger settlement in the area and they were run off, literally in the middle of the night. This was the 1700's there were no banks except the ground. I could not locate the "Peaked Mountain" which was one of the location factors. plus it might be within the limits of the park. Anyone have info on this one?

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The peaked mountain you are speaking of is Massanuten Mountain, now a ski resort , I have heard of buried treasure in the area.

Attachments

• 201.jpg
    201.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 442
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Thanks RJHO2 I never would have guessed that one. I have to get a good map of the area and logic out where they might have considered a good place to settle might be. Hope it's not in the park area because detectors are probably banned there. The old map I have now shows a RR close to that area. A lot of them were built on old trails because that was usually the easiest way to go. If it can be located it would make a great hunt site.---

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:D :coffee2: :icon_thumleft: I am from the Shenandoah Valley: YES, the GERMANS came down from
PENN. in the 16/17 hundreds... settling in Shenandoah & Page Counties. My grandmother is a LONG
(GERMAN name), and I heard & read MANY stories of the GERMAN "settlements". There are TWO treasures "of interest"; one in POWELL FORT VALLEY near Strasburg, Va. & it MAY be on "FED LAND".
The other treasure is located near McGaheysville, Va. in the Massenutten Mountain area (aka PEAKED
MOUNTAIN). The "bowl" of the mountain is MATTENUTTEN SKI RESORT, with another related
resort, at the entrance of MSR. The treasure is on the SOUTH face of "PEAKED MOUNTAIN" facing McGaheysville, and the general area was pointed out to me, years ago. It is not FED nor STATE land; it IS/WAS privately owned (NOT sure who...); UNTOUCHED by development, as the "slope" of the mountain, on the SOUTH face is TOO steep, full of trees and rocks. GOOD LUCK, if you are gonna try & find it! :wink: BTW, it was the SCOT-IRISH, who had settled in ROCKINGHAM COUNTY (where McGaheysville is), who ran the GERMANS outta there... the GERMANS went back to Shenandoah County, and had a BIG place, called... GERMANTOWN (I think). :read2:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_thumleft: ;D MORE "Valley Tidbits"; Adam Miller was the FIRST white settler in the Shenandoah Valley; he was a GERMAN by the name of Adam MULLER, and settled just NORTH of Elkton, Va. on Rt. 340... his OLD home stills stand in the old MASSENUTTEN FIELDS, where the OLD GERMAN settlement was @ 1730's or so, and is NOW covered with modern outside "whatever"... SAD!
ANYWAY, Massenutten Fields gave "rise" to the ELKTON FIELD'S DAY CARNIVAL, which the mountain ppl (SCOT-IRISH "descendants") used to come down to and FIGHT! HA! The SCOT-IRISH did push the GERMANS back to Page & Shenandoah County, etc. SCOT-IRISH claimed Rockingham County, Augusta County, and counties SOUTH! To get to the McGaheysville, Va. "treasure area", ya gotta go SOUTH, through ELKTON... to OLD RT. 33 (NOW, BIZ Rt. 33). OLD 33 is (aka) SPOTSWOOD TRAIL, in which the KNIGHTS OF THE GOLDEN HORSESHOE (Gov. Spotswood of VA & his "trail-blazers) discovered and claimed the SHENANDOAH VALLEY for his ROYAL MAJESTY, the KING... Native ppl were NOT amused! BTW, the KGH buried a wine bottle or two across the Shenandoah River saying such... was NEVER found! On OLD 33, going WEST... you will go past McGaheysville, and the "PEAK" (Rt. 33
"by-pass"), and BEHIND the SPOTSWOOD HIGH SCHOOL, up "in the hills" of the SOUTH FACE of the "PEAK", is the GENERAL "treasure" area. At ONE time, I knew the name of the Treasure "owner"... I think it was J. HITE, NOT sure, tho. :-\ ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread