Ncorwin

Greenie
Jun 7, 2012
Olean, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites CoinMaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
found this today at a park.....and ideas what it is or age?

2012-06-14 21.18.45.jpg 2012-06-14 21.19.15.jpg

Upvote 0

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if it is real or toy, but I would love to find one!
Congrats,
Bunker

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Although I couldn't tell you if its a toy or real...or even a real toy....my vote is real and I hope you share any information with us.....great find

Happy Trails,
Gregd

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a new hammer spring and grips for sure!

OP
OP
N

Ncorwin

Greenie
Jun 7, 2012
Olean, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites CoinMaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only marking on it is on the piece that closes by the barrel hole, it says 24...were there 24 caliber pistols? maybe an old derringer?

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm happy to tell you it's a real gun! It's called a "Flobert" They were European made and date from the late 1800's to around WW1. They didn't fire a regular bullet, but instead a "CB Cap" which was basically a percussion primer with a small conical bullet on it. They were actually intended for indoor target practice rather than as a weapon, sometimes called a "parlor pistol" Yours is a low end version, and I found a reference to them being marketed to bicyclists to fend off dogs!

Look on the barrel for any stampings that could ID what country it's from, yours is likely German or Belgian, but they were made all over Europe. The 24 isn't a caliber, I'm not sure what it means, I doubt it's a serial number as there were thousands made and I've seen a few with 2 digit numbers stamped on them. As far as a value, not much I'm afraid, I've seen one in better condition selling in the 25$ dollar range. It's a really cool find though, and it will look great if you put it in a frame and hang it on the wall.
pistol.jpg

It's the kind of thing I collect, and if you ever want to part with it let me know I'd be glad to give it a spot on my wall :icon_thumright:

IMPORTANT- these were also made in .22 short, but intended for blackpowder loads, if you tried to chamber and fire a modern .22 short you COULD be hurt, even a blackpowder load might cause it to blow up, These were not made in the highest of quality, so just let it be a wall hanger, and NEVER try to shoot it

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've shot a LOT of CB caps, and they don't have enough power to be considered lethal - but they can be, like any bullet.

Ken is right; don't shoot the hog leg, but do enjoy it on the wall. The best part is, it's your find.

OP
OP
N

Ncorwin

Greenie
Jun 7, 2012
Olean, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites CoinMaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks alot ken good read! Great history with these guns

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great description Ken! I didn't know that "Floberts" are not popular in the States. If you don't mind i will add some things. They were very common in europe, almost every boy back then had one. Last production was in the 30s. They came in 4, 6 and 9mm caliber. Most were the 4mm, in 6mm the .22 was the more powerful coice. The 9mm was also produced in birdshot. They came both in pistol or rifle. I never found a gun, but i hate to pick these small 4mm casings out of the dirt.... Great find for sure! This one looks like the 9mm.

Last edited:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront.... They were sold here as more of a mail order novelty as far as I can tell I think they definitely were more popular in Europe. I'll have to look up some of the calibers you mentioned, because all I've ever seen here were the "CB cap" types.... Thanks for the extra info!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront.... They were sold here as more of a mail order novelty as far as I can tell I think they definitely were more popular in Europe. I'll have to look up some of the calibers you mentioned, because all I've ever seen here were the "CB cap" types.... Thanks for the extra info!

You didn't had many domestic maker? All of them you posted are the "Rimfire" type. You can see 4mm rimfire too, called 4mm long, but you seldom stumble over one of them. Most are the 4mm M20 centralfire type. Very unique with the anvil (?) of a 5.5mm primer fitted in the casing.

Attachments

• 4mm 6mm.jpg
    4mm 6mm.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,201
  • 4mmM20.jpg
    4mmM20.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 676

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that is a really cool gun, and i love the history surrounding it! :icon_thumleft: great job everyone :coffee2: now i want one too... :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread