Old gunsmiths/watchmakers box? Cool design

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old gunsmith's/watchmaker's box? Cool design

My only really intriguing find in a few months:

PA181228.JPG PA181229.JPG PA181230.JPG PA181232.JPG PA181236.JPG PA181237.JPG PA181238.JPG

Measures 6" wide 3" high folded up - unfolds to 12" flat with individually numbered mounts for small tools (I think). Old boxes for watchmaker's and gunsmith's tools are vaguely similar, but usually much larger and without nearly as elaborate a folding design. Maybe a field kit? Something for fly fishing? It's very well-made, and probably older than mid-century. Any ideas? Have a feeling it's worth more than the $4 I paid...

Dapman

Sep 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice box - commonly referred to as a puzzle box and usually houses accessories for a sewing machine. Hope that helps!

S

stefen

Take a piece of thin paper like onionskin and do a soft pencil rubbing of the oval embossed on the wood...might be able to pick up the makers mark or other info...

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice box - commonly referred to as a puzzle box and usually houses accessories for a sewing machine. Hope that helps!

You are absolutely right, thanks!

Seems like the maker's mark would be "Patented 1889" and something pertaining to Singer sewing machines based on past listings. This one seems to be in bad shape as it is missing all the accessories and the velvet backing, hopefully it gets $25 shipped, if not I'll invent some other use for it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions