old homesite question

chemist100

Jan 21, 2007
Flowery Branch, North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
I have been eyeing an old homesite that is just down the street from my house. My question is: The property is for sale by some commerical developmet company ( Norton, I think). So does that mean they are the owners of the property? If I were to contact them, I doubt if I would get a clear answer about detecting that site. Has anyone ever ran across this type of thing before? Or should I just take my chances and go check it out? I haven't seen any other "keep out signs or no trespassing" posted anywhere from the road.

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am assuming that it is being sold by a commercial real estate agent. The property is probably worth more to someone wanting to put a business in that location than someone wanting to put a home there. So a regular real estate agent would be virtually worthless in this situation since they don't know how to truly assess the value of a property like that.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I personally would contact the Commercial realtor and seek permission to dig.Maybe you will get the opportunity to dig it now and than when someone buys it and breaks ground you can try it with a few inches of dirt removed.
Nova Treasure

T

The.Boomer

Trick that has worked for me allot in the past is offer to mow the property in exchange for exclusive hunting rights. :wink:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
It's probably not a very nice thing to do but if you act like you are interested in buying it they will more then likely tell you that you can go look around the place...just don't tell them how deep you're gonna look :icon_jokercolor:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mr.Jody said:
The.Boomer said:
Trick that has worked for me allot in the past is offer to mow the property in exchange for exclusive hunting rights. :wink:
That is a good idea, I'm going to use that one from now on !!!!

I've been doing that all summer. No trick to it. All you gotta do is ask.
I'm getting involved with a local community group now to expand my reach. Doesn't hurt to know people.

Al

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
I have been using the "mowing" technique for years, works 98% of the time. Good luck.

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
Remember this: WHEN IN DOUBT, " STAY OUT " , words of wisdom...

MLHUDSON

T

The.Boomer

Opticman said:
Are you guys just mowing once or are you doing it all summer???

Optic

Depends on the size of the site and the deal I've made. It may be a one time thing or more, it also depends on if the place sells or not. :) I wouldn't for instance, make a deal to mow the place for free more then once without knowing there's good finds on the property. But after doing at least one hunt for a couple hours I should know if I want to invest more time money and effort. Don't forget you gotta pay for the gas and other maintenance items to run your mower. I use a John Dear riding mower, but I suppose a smaller push type might be cheaper this way. Also I try not to take on more than my time allows. I had one real estate agent get mad because I had made a deal to cut the lawn of a rather large piece of property, but was having trouble finding time to cut the grass as promised. Eventually realizing what renigging on my promise might have a chilling effect on other realtors, I decided to spend a few extra late nights getting er done. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread