Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Upon arriving at the site yesterday, I detected behind where the hotel originally stood. Only finding modern junk here, I wondered further into the fields out back of the property. There were a series of lumps and bumps here where a number of ‘out buildings' were originally located. Some of my interesting finds yesterday was a WWII Canadian Military Button and a ‘Crown Rosette’. I am very interested to hear everyone’s opinion on the nature and date of this rosette. Was it military, possibly from a dispatch rider, maybe 'postal' related or was it simply a decorative crown expressing loyalty to the sovereign of our young country at that time? Does anyone recognize what type of crown this is? :dontknow:

WWII Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada Button — c1939 - 45
“During the interwar years, Service Dress was the main uniform of the Canadian soldier. Most corps and regiments adopted distinctive buttons. They were worn on the Service Dress Jacket, primarily, though some units may have worn them on greatcoats and service dress hats as well. Most buttons were slightly dome shaped though some were flatter. These buttons were generally brass, with Rifle regiments generally wearing black. Some units, or individuals may have adopted chrome or gilt versions. Plastic buttons were adopted by the British Army during the Second World War as an economy measure, but don't seem to have been adopted by Canadians. Regulations during the war did call for the cessation of construction of unit buttons, as an economy measure, though those in possession of corps or regimental buttons were permitted to keep wearing them.”

The Brougham Central Hotel
“The original hotel had three documented moves from its historic site; the realignment of Brock Road; there is a similarity in names between the Brougham Central Hotel and the Brougham Hotel. By 1851, the Hotel already contained ‘good stabling for horses’ and a room large enough to host “an evening concert at brother Woodruffs’ Temperance House” which capped off the Temperance Soiree of May 15, 1851. The use of the term ‘house’ for the hotel, a traditional British synonym for Inn, has its roots in that the early inns and taverns were often originally simply domestic homes, which, due to strategic location became convenient stopovers for travelers and were thus occasionally opened to the public.”

Thanks very much for looking and stay healthy! :thumbsup:
Dave

Attachments

• Brougham Hotel. (10).jpg
    Brougham Hotel. (10).jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Pic07.jpg
    Pic07.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Pic01.jpg
    Pic01.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Pic08.jpg
    Pic08.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_2020-04-11 Curiosity Corner-crop.png
    Screenshot_2020-04-11 Curiosity Corner-crop.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Pic02.jpg
    Pic02.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Pic05.jpg
    Pic05.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Pic06.jpg
    Pic06.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Pic03.jpg
    Pic03.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Pic04.jpg
    Pic04.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Pic09.jpg
    Pic09.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Pic010.jpg
    Pic010.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 58
  • Pic011.jpg
    Pic011.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 62
  • Pic012.jpg
    Pic012.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 40

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recovery , I love the button and a bit surprised by the lack of coins at such a site.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool saves! Congrats:icon_thumleft:

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know anything about the type of crown, but that rosette is really cool.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good finds. Like the button!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice " before" and "after" pics of the hotel Dave. Great looking button and rosette. Can't help you with the history. Cheers!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome relic hunt, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
NICE relics and I love the history! Well done, Dave!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree that’s a nice looking button and that rosette is very unique.
Nice hunt Dave

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way ta go dave !! Congrats !! I ditto coinstar magnet...they dont make um like they used to !!

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great recovery , I love the button and a bit surprised by the lack of coins at such a site.

Thanks for your post ticndig. :thumbsup:
There's a lot of ground to cover on this site and based on the age of the finds, it was likely inhabited until the late 1960s.
Unfortunately, the grass is very thick and has had 50+ years to grow and die, so any coins are likely very deep.
Dave

Very cool saves! Congrats:icon_thumleft:

Thank you Sir.

I don't know anything about the type of crown, but that rosette is really cool.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts villival.
I'm thinking it's a 'standardized' British Crown created after the death of Queen Victoria in 1901. :icon_scratch:
Dave

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks Randy! :thumbsup:

All good finds. Like the button!

Thanks Cru, I now understand that the 'Queens Own Rifles of Canada' played a large part in D-Day. :award_star_silver_1
Dave

Nice " before" and "after" pics of the hotel Dave. Great looking button and rosette. Can't help you with the history. Cheers!
Thanks for you post Silvermonkey. :hello:
When the original north/south alignment of the road was straightened in the 1950s this old building was demolished.
In reality, I was searching the yard to the west and north of the original building site.
Dave

Top notch finds there Dave! The QOR have a long history and played a big role on D-Day.

Thanks buddy! :icon_thumleft:
I appreciate you sharing your knowledge of the buttons history, this is something I didn't know.
Dave

Great button and rosette Dave

Thanks for your post my friend.
Hope you're able to get out detecting these days.
Dave

Awesome relic hunt, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks very much Professor.

NICE relics and I love the history! Well done, Dave!

Thank you creskol. :thumbsup:
I too wish there were some coin finds as ticndig mentioned, still I'm pretty happy with the results.
Dave

I agree that’s a nice looking button and that rosette is very unique.
Nice hunt Dave
Thanks buddy! :hello:
I'm thinking the leather harness this rosette was attached to, likely broke and fell off when it was lost due to the damage of the edges.
Dave

Just stellar finds....love the crown motif...is anything created these days with that kind of beauty or detail?
I like the way you think my friend and I completely agree! :occasion14:
The amount of energy that went into creating a simple horse rosette back in the day simply amazes me.
The bridle rosette obviously served a very important purpose hundreds of years ago when the horse was our primary mode of transport. :thumbsup:
Dave

"For thousands of years, horse owners have adorned the bridles of their horses with decorations known as bridle rosettes. Not only decorative, rosettes served the functional purpose of securing the bridle headstall. They also revealed important characteristics of the horse’s owner. In ancient and medieval times, bridle rosettes were made of metals, such as iron, bronze and copper. As industrialized manufacturing flourished in the 1800’s, bridle rosettes were created with glass domes enclosing hand-painted artwork, dye cuts, pictures and photographs.

Bridle rosettes identified the military war horse, adorned the bridle of a horse carrying its rider to a funeral or wedding, advertised businesses and fraternal organizations, served as ornaments depicting favorite activities of the time such as hunting. Each bridle rosette tells a story of its owner and the historical era from which it came."

Way ta go dave !! Congrats !! I ditto coinstar magnet...they dont make um like they used to !!

Thanks very much for your post Bart.
I've probably found a dozen bridle rosettes in my past 10 years of detecting, but when I find an example with this much detail on it, makes it very special. :hello2:
Best of luck to you in Florida and stay healthy,
Dave

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button and rosette made your hunt..congrats!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your post ticndig. :thumbsup:
There's a lot of ground to cover on this site and based on the age of the finds, it was likely inhabited until the late 1960s.
Unfortunately, the grass is very thick and has had 50+ years to grow and die, so any coins are likely very deep.
Dave

Thank you Sir.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts villival.
I'm thinking it's a 'standardized' British Crown created after the death of Queen Victoria in 1901. :icon_scratch:
Dave

Thanks Randy! :thumbsup:

Thanks Cru, I now understand that the 'Queens Own Rifles of Canada' played a large part in D-Day. :award_star_silver_1
Dave

Thanks for you post Silvermonkey. :hello:
When the original north/south alignment of the road was straightened in the 1950s this old building was demolished.
In reality, I was searching the yard to the west and north of the original building site.
Dave

Thanks buddy! :icon_thumleft:
I appreciate you sharing your knowledge of the buttons history, this is something I didn't know.
Dave

Thanks for your post my friend.
Hope you're able to get out detecting these days.
Dave

Thanks very much Professor.

Thank you creskol. :thumbsup:
I too wish there were some coin finds as ticndig mentioned, still I'm pretty happy with the results.
Dave

Thanks buddy! :hello:
I'm thinking the leather harness this rosette was attached to, likely broke and fell off when it was lost due to the damage of the edges.
Dave

I like the way you think my friend and I completely agree! :occasion14:
The amount of energy that went into creating a simple horse rosette back in the day simply amazes me.
The bridle rosette obviously served a very important purpose hundreds of years ago when the horse was our primary mode of transport. :thumbsup:
Dave

"For thousands of years, horse owners have adorned the bridles of their horses with decorations known as bridle rosettes. Not only decorative, rosettes served the functional purpose of securing the bridle headstall. They also revealed important characteristics of the horse’s owner. In ancient and medieval times, bridle rosettes were made of metals, such as iron, bronze and copper. As industrialized manufacturing flourished in the 1800’s, bridle rosettes were created with glass domes enclosing hand-painted artwork, dye cuts, pictures and photographs.

Bridle rosettes identified the military war horse, adorned the bridle of a horse carrying its rider to a funeral or wedding, advertised businesses and fraternal organizations, served as ornaments depicting favorite activities of the time such as hunting. Each bridle rosette tells a story of its owner and the historical era from which it came."

Thanks very much for your post Bart.
I've probably found a dozen bridle rosettes in my past 10 years of detecting, but when I find an example with this much detail on it, makes it very special. :hello2:
Best of luck to you in Florida and stay healthy,
Dave
Fascinating history on the bridle rosette. And a find that was very personal to someone. Thanks for sharing that.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The button and rosette made your hunt..congrats!

Thank you, I would've been happy just having found the WWII button, but the rosette is definitely the most memorable for me. :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you in Florida,
Dave

Fascinating history on the bridle rosette. And a find that was very personal to someone. Thanks for sharing that.

I feel the same way about this find too and I certainly have more questions then answers. :icon_scratch:

Was the owner active in the military, an avid supporter of the King or Queen of our country or was this just 'decoration' for the horse's bridle? :dontknow:

Hopefully someone here will recognize if this piece holds any significance.
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread