Old House/New Clad?

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Has this happened to anyone else? I hunted my brother-in-law's place today, a nice little ranch-style built in 1943. In the past, I have found a smattering of silver and a handful of wheat's along with the requisite modern clad at sites like this. This particular home, however, yielded none of this. ??? I dug almost no trash, which was nice, but look at the totals.

10 quarters
6 Dimes
9 Nickels
41 Pennies
Best Western Motel Key
New Mexico-shaped Cookie Cutter (didn't make for an attractive cookie, I'm sure!)

66 Coins, all '65 and after. Seems like everytime I swung the coil, I got a coin. Granted, I haven't hit the entire house, but doesn't it seem odd that not a single Wheat popped up? I actually ran into a similar site, my mother's old house, where i found almost 50 Wheaties, going back to 1916, but not a single silver coin in the bunch. Just one of those mysteries, I suppose. Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Yes, very dissapointing too. My friend's grandparents live in a house built before the civil war. You couldn't tell this by looking at the house, it has had numerous upgrades which make it look like a newer home, but the barn is another matter. All made of old 12" thick logs with no nails used. Neat old structure. Anyway, we hunted this place for several hours sure we would find some neat old stuff, but walked away with a bunch of modern clad :( No artifacts either, but I am sure there is stuff in there to be found. Too bad it is several hours away, or I would hit it a lot more.

OP
OP
ClonedSIM

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Wow, that makes my story seem kinda lame. Do you think they've brought in fill dirt over the years?

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
My theory is that it depends on the people who lived there. If the people who lived there lost a lot of things when silver was circulating, then you find silver and wheats. The yard I've been hunting is a good example. Lots of clad on or just below the surface, lost in the last 10 years or less. I know the people and they are careless with change. Next layer of clad is at 2.5" and lots of it too. Mostly lost in the late 70's and early 80's from a different family that lived there then. Soil conditions are dry now and the above is about all I can find. Back in May though, when the ground was very wet, I dug silver and wheats at 5" or so. Probably lost in the early to mid 1900's, but not near as many as the clad. Three different families that left their coins at 3 different levels over time, each in different amounts depending on how careless they were.

A different example is my yard, house built in 1947 and the same lady lived here until I bought it in 1993. I've hunted the entire 0.43 acre yard dozens of times and only found 2 wheats and a transit token. The only clad was near the surface and I know my kids lost it. This lady held onto her coins with an iron grip!!! :'(

G

grotus

My house was built in 1942, and I had dreams of finding some cool stuff. Instead I have searched almost the entire yard and the oldest thing I found was a 1961 penny. My sister's house was built in 1920 and I plan on hunting there soon. Hopefully that will turn up some wheaties or maybe even some silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread