artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
House from Road.JPG House.JPG House-Barn.JPG House-Corner.JPG House-Foundation.JPG House-Side.JPG House-South.JPG Howes.JPG Latch -Front.JPG Bull.JPG Got permission to hunt a house that is owned by our local ski resort now. It's a bit overwhelming, between the house, the barn and the multiple acres of farm land. Behind the house is a baseball field where I've seen photos of games going on from the '20s. So far, the only things of interest I've found is an '70's era watch and the icebox latch shown below, which was right near the front door.

Notice how the foundation crumbling and you can see into the basement. I don't like to get too close, because I'm not sure of what will come crawling out to drag me in!! I'm still trying to find a date on the house..but I think 1850's. Hopefully it will stop raining one of these days, because I'm stoked to get back there and that ain't no bull! (from the adjoining field)

Last edited:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a great place to hunt! Check around the trees and the edge of the driveway oh and close around the porch.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definetly a place id like to go to take ur time maybe bring a hunting friend with u its fun having a partner to talk to on those big places to share thoughts

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a big house. I would like to go inside and explore to include the barn.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would be so excited to get to detect a house that old and I would probably crawl under the porch or at least wiggle a pinpointer under there.

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just found out that the house dates to 1820, and I'm not sure of the architectural style, although I do think that there are some elements of the Federal period, like that palladian window. I'd say it's a mishmash of additions through the years. There's no way that I'd ever go inside the house or in the barn alone. I'm too much of a chicken- afraid of wild animals and squatters, I guess :laughing7:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol it just sounds like great history I like those old spots that if they could only talk ,but that's where we detectotists come in bringing history back to the present time

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little interesting history about windows ,, well maybe not interesting but i wanted to add my 2 cents any way :)
i learned from my old boss years ago when i restored antique cabins that in a early house large windows were a sign of wealth. back when they had not perfected the art of making flat sheets of glass in large sheets , most people could only afford small panes of glass so had windows with 4 or more panes. the people with large windows were rich enough to afford them.
which if my memory is right is was mid 1800's there was a change in glass window sizes.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It seems odd that a structure from that time period has no porch. That is the area where most activities happened in those days. I think the most productive areas will be at or near the front and rear entrances. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool, Yankee. I noticed no porch too Frankn so maybe it wasn't built as a private residence. I never been to that part of the country Artemis Moon but I have studied the writings of a fella from up that way who's pretty familiar with that part of the world. So be careful. Accordin to ol Stephen King that is probably an old insane asylum and there is things there that could get you, so keep a look out. hahaha! Good huntin, take your time and have fun with it.

Last edited:

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very good observation guys, the over all look makes it look like a school or hospital for sure, the lack of shutters, porch and overall size and number of windows does not look like a house . wonder what the room lay out looks like inside ?
also looking at the "L" shape of the house is pretty common , the door and window transom match , the lap siding is all uniform with no visible break points , so either the building was built like that or when it was renovated they did a top job making the addition join up and match like it was original .

i would for sure MD around those doors , even though there was not a large porch attached with a roof to the house , the foundation missing around the door area makes it look like there was a stoop or some kind of landing out there .
also i see a soccer goal in the back ground, look around the goal and sidelines where spectators would sit .

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty cool, Yankee. I noticed no porch too Frankn so maybe it wasn't built as a private residence. I never been to that part of the country Artemis Moon but I have studied the writings of a fella from up that way who's pretty familiar with that part of the world. So be careful. Accordin to ol Stephen King that is probably an old insane asylum and there is things there that could get you, so keep a look out. hahaha! Good huntin, take your time and have fun with it.

Thank you, RGINN for playing on my worst nightmares :icon_thumleft:

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
artemis, if you can find a spot where the frame is exposed near the foundation and can find any nails , look to see if you can find any square nails, or if the beams are pegged together , it will help date the house a little closer .
here are what the nails will look like.
P1030495.167144944_std.JPG

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the info on the nails that's good to know

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
main thing to remember about the nails are the early 1800's with machinery and industry coming along and cut nails from sheets, the hand cut nails were to expensive because machines could mass produce them.
So if you find a square head nail that is tapered on all 4 sides , its almost always a hand made nail and will be early 1800's or earlier.
That is also around the time post-n-beam died out.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just saved that picture of nails to my camera roll.Does that make me an official metal detecting nerd?

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
th.jpg
I just found out that the house dates to 1820, and I'm not sure of the architectural style, although I do think that there are some elements of the Federal period, like that palladian window. I'd say it's a mishmash of additions through the years. There's no way that I'd ever go inside the house or in the barn alone. I'm too much of a chicken- afraid of wild animals and squatters, I guess :laughing7:

nothing like a can of bear spray to keep safe in the wild...works on anything that breaths.
the porch is missing from that house I believe...
that style was a popular build in the northeast.
i'd go with the place being a private residence...lots of modifications
thCAZVO05H.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sweet place to hunt! I would say that was for sure used as a house and not a school or hospital, ect. I to have heard that about windows being a sign of wealth. If it was me I would not leave any inch undetected of the entire property. Looks like a old farm and I am sure some of the original buildings are no longer standing. I would not hesitate for a second to go inside if you have permission. Is it going to be torn down? If so try to check wall cavities especially under the window sills. Keep the pictures coming!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread