Old Indian and a badge/fob from 1911(?).

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've been known to almost kill myself to get to and clear a potentially good site for detecting. Last Halloween, I stumbled onto a site in the neighborhood where I grew up and it's very easy to get to and relatively easy to clear. It was a homesite until about 1920, when the first house in our neighborhood was built to replace it. Today was beautiful, with temps in the mid 60's; I took my radio and my detecting gear down to the homesite in search of treasure. Last spring, I found an Indian head penny and V nickel here, and I know there is more. Today's mission was to find it and listen to the return of Steeler QB Ben Roethlisberger. His mission was a success, and so was mine. My first good target was what appears to be a windup key of some sort. Shortly after that, I found this badge (probably more like a fob) with the word Jacksonville at the top, No. 196 on the next line, some sort of symbols in a circle that I can't make out altogether (one appears to be an arm), then the text "33rd GRAND DIVISION O.R.C on a ribbon. Finally, at the bottom, it says MAY 1911. In a little picture at the bottom, it looks like a figure wearing tropical dress, a palm tree and possibly a ship with mountains in the background. On the back, the number 2294 is stamped, as long as tiny print identifying the manufacturer. It's the WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO. in Newark, NJ. In a tiny shield reminiscent of the Canada Dry logo, there is script too small for me to read even under magnification. HELP! Also managed a silver plated spoon and finally, sadly, a 1947D wheat. Given the age of the site, I really expected an older wheat, quite frankly! A very interesting assortment and a nice day of exercise to go with a Steeler win!

Attachments

• shield 001 (Small).jpg
    shield 001 (Small).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 304
  • shield 002 (Small).jpg
    shield 002 (Small).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 305
  • shield 003 (Small).jpg
    shield 003 (Small).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 300
  • shield 004 (Small).jpg
    shield 004 (Small).jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 294
  • shield 005 (Small).jpg
    shield 005 (Small).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.R.C.....Order of Retired Cops?? The bottom of the fob appears to be an adaptation of the Great Seal of Florida. Kinda makes sense, since Jacksonville is in Florida. Whatever it is, it's a cool find.

EagleDown

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds :icon_thumleft:

O.R.C. is Order of Railway Conductors
It's a very cool fob.